Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.4 GIG Prescott socket 478 running on an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe mobo, and in a standard, older Antec case. I have run across ads mentioning that they are Prescott ready. Does anyone know exactly why they are different and in what way? Are they needed or called for with a Prescott? The CPU I have doesn't seem to top 130 degrees F, but I would like to lower that if I could. It is using a retail heatsink and fan currently. Thanks for any input on Prescott ready cases.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Generally any ATX case will work, however some are better than others at cooling, and Prescott cpu's do require lots of cooling. A good case from Lian-Li, Antec, silverstone etc should do the trick. As for an aftermarket heatsink, the Zalman cpns7000 or Thermaltake sp90 or 120 will do a much better job then the stock cooler, especially when used with artic silver 5 thermal compound. Take a look at the Antec Sonata II case....very nice, excellent cooling and not bad pricewise

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

Prescott ready case generally is just a kind of "selling or marketing" label

P4 cases have a air duct or funnel on the side of them / they have mounting preparations which permit the ease of install a 120 mm case fan to the air duct to help enhance INTAKE air towards the processor. Most people are misguided when they think the cpu heat sink and fan blow air away from the processor / its just the opposite / you want to blow cooler air onto the heat sink to disipate heat. A good case will have a 120mm blowing air into the case and at least one 120mm fan or more blowing heated or exaust air out of the case / I have found thru my own experiments that a system stays cooler if you are exausting more air out then the volume of air you are trying to bring in !! if done correctly you should be able to achieve a negative pressure within the case / thus fresh air will be constantly entering the case on its own due to the neg air.

as for cases / you dont have to have a P4 ready case so to speak to run a prescott properly / however you will need to do some modding to improve air flow in a standard ATX case ~~ pre-prescott if you will ?????

I have a full sized server tower with one 120mm fan blowing into the processor and four 80mm case fans exausting air out / works like a charm / but I did have to cut the hole (dremel) at processor height to install the 120mm intake air fan / I am not really sold on the funnel so no I didnt use one / altough they are available as an aftermarket product ???? all depends if you are willing to spend the effort to MOD the case ???? I wouldnt have except I love this Supermicro full tower server case (lots of room for my big paws) too much to abandon / if it werent for that fact / I would have eagerly grabbed an Antec P4 case.

regards

joe

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tac?

I'm not sure if this is what "prescott ready" means but Intel introduced a weird sounding concept called TAC or "thermally advantaged chassis". Basically a tube to feed cool air directly to the CPU. If I didn't own an Antec SLK3000b and a 3.4 prescott I'd say it was BS but it actually works. 40C at idle 50C under load and never wanders from that range. I own two of the Antec SLK3000b cases and for $46 shipped from Amazon I couldn't be more pleased.

·
Registered
878 Posts
yea, i've got a coolermaster cavalier 3 case with the little cutout on the side of the case with a rigid plastic tube that lets the fan on the processor draw cool air in from the atmosphere. Seems to work pretty well, and it's adjustable for different heights of heatsinks :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.