Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to connect a second hd to my computer. how do I plug it in, do I need a special cable/connector?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

To be honest it is a very easy process, but the bug is it depends upon what you already have on the computer in the way of drives. Assuming that you have an IDE hard drive on a cable alone, then all you have to do is set the jumpers on the drive to Slave settings, and plug the drive into the middle of the ribbon cable. Then put the power plug on it and away you go.

If you have two drives already on that cable, then use the 2nd IDE slot, set the drive to master and put it on the end of the ribbon cable.

If your situation is different than this, please let us know. It would also help if you told us what drives you already have (brand, size, type) and how they are set up on your computer.

Hope this helps....post back if you have questions.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

you shouldnt need anything ????? just plug your new drive onto the same cable as your first hard drive. Make sure your new slave drive is connected to the middle of the cable / the bootable drive (existing one) should be at the end of your existing IDE cable ???? The just add (conenct) a four pin power plug into the drive / you should have extras not occupied in your machine / look at the power plug on the other drive to see what it looks like

Make sure the jumper pins on the new drive are set to "slave" (that is if your just looking for additional file storage)
if you want it to replace your current boot drive / then thats a whole different set-up that will require some added steps.

regards

joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.