Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 256MB RAM card in my computer, but if I go to My Computer Properties, it's only displaying 248MB (difference of 8MB).

Does anyone know why this could be? How can I fix it? FYI, I tried removing the card and putting it in the other slot. Still says 248MB.

I'm not sure if this is a recent development or if it's always been like that. (First time I really checked. Originally this was my wife's computer.) My wife got this computer in 2002, and I don't think it's under warrenty anymore.

I'm pretty new at messing with the inside of a computer so please advise me as a newbie. :smile:

I have a HP Pavilion 542x running Windows XP sp2.

This in the info on the RAM card:

Infineon
HYS64D32000GU-7-A 32MX64 SDRAM
A3E22305 PC2100U-20330-B1
256MB DDR 133MHz CL2

Let me know if I need to provide any other info. This is my first time posting in this forum.

Thanks in advance for the help.

P

·
0 Posts
It is called "shared ram" . A component which uses 8mb ram is set up to use part of the main system memory. Nothing wrong with it. I heard there were some tests and fixes but they might cause your system to crash.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team
2,274 Posts
There's always the possibility that you RAM is just a couple megabytes short. It's not unheard of. Most likely its being shared somewhere though. If you want, run Everest
It will tell you how much memory is actually there.
Here's an example. My laptop has 768 mb's of ram in it, but if I go to system properties in Windows, it tells me I have 704. This is because 64 of it is shared with video. When I run Everest, it clearly tells me that I have a 512 and 256 installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help.

One question. If I want to use a program (lets say hypothetically a game :wink: ) where the min requirements are 256MB of RAM, do they mean 256MB installed or 256MB available after sharing and stuff?

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
unfortunately, since your video card is eating up 8 megs, windows doesn't even see it, so windows only sees 248 megs installed on your machine, and if a program actually requires 256, you won't be able to run it.

however, alot of programs claim to need a certain amount, and will work fine with a little less.

what really makes the difference is if the program actually peeks to see how much you have.

at this point, it asks windows; "is installed Ram > 255?" (is ram bigger than 255?)

if the answer is yes, it continues, if the answer is no, it will exit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.