Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 XP SP3 PCs on a home network (via 4 port router), and a WD My Book World Edition network drive, good for 500G of storage. The network drive is sitting on the network, with no software for access (such as MIO, etc). Two computers use Windows OneCare to backup to a shared folder, no problems, and one computer uses the Retrospect Express HD software that came with the network drive to do backups, and all three computers map to the network drive just fine. Two machines use OneCare for antivirus, and one machine uses Avasst for antivirus.

I recently added a XP SP3 fourth computer (displacing one of the other computers), and it can not find the network drive via My Computer or Network Neighborhood - in fact, browsing either one does not show anything under the workgroup (all have same workgroup name). BUT I can talk to the network drive homepage by entering the URL in Windows Explorer on the new computer.

I've tried cutting off the firewall in Windows and in the antivirus (Kaspersky), but no changes. This is rather mysterious to me, as all the other computers found the network drive the first time. Any suggestions for settings to check and/or adjust on the new machine? Thanks.

One other item, probably not significant: the new machine is dual boot XP32/XP64. XP32 could never see the network drive under Network Neighborhood, but the XP64 could see it for one day, then the next day, gone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.