Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not here to ask anything as such just to post for anyone wondering whether you can use a 24 pin PSU to a 20 pin mobo...the answer to the surprise of the guy at my local computer shop, is yes!! You simply have 4 pins hanging over the end of the plastic clip on the mobo.

Now, unless someone tells me why you shouldn't do this (bearing in mind my system has been running flawlessly for days now like it) then please do. Otherwise, just for everyone's info :wink:

PS - You do need to cut (with a very fine and very sharp blade) the plastic connector as there is a bloody IDE port in the way otherwise!! Just make sure you cut the side of the plastic for the not needed 4 pins, not the side that is going to be plugged in!!

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
honestly, it's the exact same 20 pin plug, with 4 extras added.

if they aren't plugged in, that's fine, but they might end up in the way like you noticed.

i myself have gone so far as to completely cut off the extra 4 pins, and then follow the wires back up the harness a ways, and clip them, and cap them off.

i figure, "this is just in the way, it must die."

if your question is if it's safe, yes, as long as those extra 4 wire don't touch anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.