Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.. i bought a new western digital 200gb drive last wekk and put it into an icecube enclosure.

originally the drive was recognised as a 130gb drive though xp (after some usb 2 driver updates). I went for the quick fix and I put the drive into an ide slot in my tower and formatted it there to 189GB, ntfs, logical partition.

taking the drive back into the enclosure, it then read the correct 190 GB of free space.

but i want to partition the drive to suit my work into 4 partitions.
trying to partition it through the encluser again, only yielded a total free space of 130 GB to make parttions in.

So i put it back in the tower, partitioned it how i wanted and put it back into the enclosure. Now it doesnt read any drives at all and inspection into the device manager shows that the Western digital drive is 'unavailable'.

i know that the usb2 spec wont limit my drive size, and it is ntfs so again, no limts in size for me. What the heck is going on? :no:

tho i need the partitions, if forced to i will have to use the 1 190gb partition. Is this safe though, giving that the external setup doesnt seem to read the space beyond 130GB?

all help is soooo greatly appreciated! :D

G

·
Welcome to the forums alim............:D

Did you fdisk the drive while it was hooked up to the IDE connector and remove all and any partitions before you tried to create the four new partitions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the welcome speedo :D

i used partition magic to resize the original partition into a smallr one, and added the three other partitions in the following free space.

I tested that version out and it worked fine...so...

in enclosure
- 200GB is read as 130GB
- maximum partition playing space is 130GB
- 2 or more partitioned drive is not read

in tower
- 200GB is read as 190GB
- 4 partitions are successful

im real stumped... whats the missing step?

//

·
Global Moderator
51,638 Posts
The controller in your HD enclosure doesn't use LBA 48 bit addressing, you need a better enclosure to utilize the full capacity of the disk. I have a USB 2.0 enclosure with the same problem. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh no...

the icecube unit also retails premade with 200GB drives inside....

ill check to see if they have different specs...

it was a bloody expensive enclosure too 240 Australian (approx 120 US)... its advertised in video editing magazines i read so i thought it had to be ok with it all...

so do you know if im able to use it witout partitioning the drive?
it reads 190 as one partition... is all that 190GB of data safe?

cheers man

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep... different specs... i had to find this out by looking at help sites outside of the manufacterers site mind u so needless to say, im not happy with the purchase...

apparently the newer versions (same model number, jsut made later on) have it built in... so it looks like i got sold an oldie

im seeing about returning it tommorrow morning for a replacement!

thanks all for hte help!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
did you format each partition after making them? If you are using XP, rt. click My computer/Manage/Disk Management and see if they are greyed out (they might say UNALLOCATED SPACE).

Does your mobo recognize 200GB drives? Might need to flash the bios or check WD's website for a patch.

·
Global Moderator
51,638 Posts
x5dr said:
did you format each partition after making them? If you are using XP, rt. click My computer/Manage/Disk Management and see if they are greyed out (they might say UNALLOCATED SPACE).

Does your mobo recognize 200GB drives? Might need to flash the bios or check WD's website for a patch.
You're too late for this problem, already resolved. :) The controller in his USB case doesn't support LBA48 addressing. Oh, it doesn't matter if the MB recognizes the large drives, since it's the USB controller and the driver that handles the access. I have an old machine running XP that only recognizes 32gig drives, but it has no trouble with large ones plugged into USB.

·
Registered
336 Posts
ok....

I have an old machine running XP that only recognizes 32gig drives,.

you might find a bios update for that. Also, if you are formatting XP with FAT32 will only recognize 32GB (or 36GB? can't remember). The work around is to use a 98/ME boot disk and fdisk, then install XP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i went to the shop the next day... the guy tried to tell me that it was win xp's fault and then jsut my computers fault... even tried to tell me that there was no old or new version ...jsut one that could do it all...

he stopped when i told him i had seen on his suppliers suppliers tech desk that the old version is an outdated disontinued model.
I even gave him the board number and his tune started to change then.. "oh u must have an older model... i thought we sold all those.. here take one of the new versions"
lol

btw... the unit was not flashable and the newer version has a pretty different board architecture than the old one..

i did ok tho :)

thanks again all!
//

·
Global Moderator
51,638 Posts
x5dr said:
ok....

I have an old machine running XP that only recognizes 32gig drives,.

you might find a bios update for that. Also, if you are formatting XP with FAT32 will only recognize 32GB (or 36GB? can't remember). The work around is to use a 98/ME boot disk and fdisk, then install XP.
Nope, that old dog doesn't have any BIOS updates available, already checked. :) Since it's just used by my wife for email and web access, that limitation hasn't been an issue, so I haven't worried about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since we are talking about HDD ecnoures, is it possible to have enclosure for 3.5 HDD that does not require to have external power supply, like I need it for car traveling? Or its my dream again?

Thank you.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
paulpma, my advice is to start a separate thread to avoid confusion. Plus, you'll get more attention that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heya ...
I've got a similar problem

I've bought a 180GB Maxtor IDE HD. my BIOS tells me that it's size is 155000MB (ok), but Partition Magic 8 / Windows Installer / Management says 128GB, or 131GB. It's unallocated right now. I wanna make a 10GB Partition for WinXP, and some other partitions, and use my whole HD for that, not just 130GB.
Can someone please help me? Is there any way I can solve that?
Would downloadin the newest Service Pack, then making one big Partition (155GB) help? Question about that is; could I split this partition afterwards?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

cya
Thomas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.