Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear defog on my 2002 Chevy Impala is not working, I noticed one of the little clips (if you want to call them that?) on the rear window was loose and I was told I had to buy special clue to glue it back down which I did. But the rear window defog still isn't working. Any help or suggestion on this matter?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Good Afternoon loosewheel, I would suggest obtaining a Haynes Manual from you auto supermarket specific for that vehicle.

Although the defog circuit is simple, in some vehicles they make it slightly more complicated.

The basic idea is that 12 volts is applied to one side of the window element and the other side is earthed to the chassis somewhere.

Having a simple voltmeter would be very useful to determine if there is voltage on the element at all.
It may be a problem in the chassis earthing connection or the power to the element from the accessory circuit.

You may find that your window element is "open circut" probably at on of the spade connectors.

Using a meter you can confirm if voltage is present from the operating switch, I am assuming you have checked the underdash fuse for that circuit.

So if there is voltage on both sides of the heater fuse you can then go to the operating switch.

All measurements made with black lead on good chassis point and red to test point.

If you find the spade conectors on the window have a problem there is usually a repair kit for this kind of thing available at your auto supermarket.
They often contain replacement spade connectors and the "goo" to make and repair element sections.

It is fickle work and a real pain to repair elements.
Gives new meaning to cleaning rear windows!

Others will have different ideas.

Cheers, qldit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.