1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
25,000 miles on it
new 6yr delco battery installed 2 yrs ago
start car, voltmeter guage down around 10 to 12 volts
manually throttle up the rpm's a bit .. meter goes to 14 volts , where it always used to be.

unibelt doesnt appear to be in that bad a shape, doesnt appear to be slipping over the alternator pulley

anyways
we lock the car via the keypad last night, and crap, the interior lights dont go out. tried it on the astro, out in about 30 secs, normal. we ended up pushing in the dome over ride button on the console, to kill the problemo

i am wondering if this went un-noticed for a few days and it tatooed the battery and now i have a dead cell, i am going to put the charger on this am.

short trips might not be charging it up enough.... :4-dontkno

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i'm concerned about the fact it throws 10-12 volts at an idle.

while running, it should throw 13~14 volts, even at an idle.

does this thing idle super super slow?

if not, it almost sounds like an alternator that is growing weak.

one thing to try, as bad as it sounds, is to pull off the negative battery terminal while it's running, and check it with a volt meter from one cable to the other. if it is kicking off 13~14 volts without the battery, then yes, it's the battery. if it's still throwing off 10~12 volts, or if it dies, then it's the alternator.

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,291 Posts
WaltSide said:
one thing to try, as bad as it sounds, is to pull off the negative battery terminal while it's running, and check it with a volt meter from one cable to the other. if it is kicking off 13~14 volts without the battery, then yes, it's the battery. if it's still throwing off 10~12 volts, or if it dies, then it's the alternator.
Walt, that's a BAD thing to do on late models...especially GM vehicles. Pulling that cable with it running creates a HUGE surge which can knock out anything electronic. I'd pull the alternator and take to the local parts store and let them check it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.