Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Today I installed Windows XP Pro onto my computer which was originally Windows 2000 Pro. Everything went well and it all works.

My only problem is when I turn my computer on, it asks me which system I want to use. The choices are 2000 and XP. How do i get rid of that message?

This same thing happened when I upgraded 98 to 2000. I have to edit a .inf or .dll file I think to do it. I can't remember...

Anyone know?

Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You probably left W2K there, so you need to do some clean-up. Getting rid of the message is easy, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup & Recovery. Make sure the proper O/S is the default and uncheck the "Display list of O/S to start" box. You most likely have a WINNT directory with tons of stuff in it, as well as left over junk in "Programs Files".

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
johnwill said:
You probably left W2K there, so you need to do some clean-up. Getting rid of the message is easy, right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup & Recovery. Make sure the proper O/S is the default and uncheck the "Display list of O/S to start" box. You most likely have a WINNT directory with tons of stuff in it, as well as left over junk in "Programs Files".
Thank you

I'll have a go at getting rid of that message.

I am glad that it saved the info in Program Files. It saved me having to reinstall some programs. Is that OK?

Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you did an upgrade of W2K to XP, you shouldn't have two O/S entries on the boot menu. If that's the case, don't go deleting anything! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
johnwill said:
If you did an upgrade of W2K to XP, you shouldn't have two O/S entries on the boot menu. If that's the case, don't go deleting anything! :)
OK. Is there a way of removing Win2k? I don't want to remove the Program Files info it transfered across just the O/S...

That possible?

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Removing that line will stop the boot menu from offering you the choice of boot-up.

As far as removing the W2K files, that would depend on how you installed XP. If you installed it over W2K, you can't really remove anything, any W2K specific files will probably just stay. OTOH, if you installed it into a different directory, your applications installed on W2K won't be installed for XP, and will have to be re-installed. Of course, since it sounds like it's installed on the same logical drive, you may have a bit of a mess on your hands. :rolleyes: Without knowing the specific options chosen when installing, it's hard to know what you have.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
johnwill said:
Removing that line will stop the boot menu from offering you the choice of boot-up.

As far as removing the W2K files, that would depend on how you installed XP. If you installed it over W2K, you can't really remove anything, any W2K specific files will probably just stay. OTOH, if you installed it into a different directory, your applications installed on W2K won't be installed for XP, and will have to be re-installed. Of course, since it sounds like it's installed on the same logical drive, you may have a bit of a mess on your hands. :rolleyes: Without knowing the specific options chosen when installing, it's hard to know what you have.
Yeah, I did just install over 2k. I wasn't sure if I should or shouldn't but it's OK now. Everything seems to work finw :winkgrin:

Thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it!

Tech

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.