Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I know you guys know your stuff...but there are people here i Scandanavia who swear they runs 2 GTX 260's on the likes of Corsair 650W PSU.....
Is it that it will run the cards but due to the PSU being "stressed" under load that the PSU is more prone to failure ?
And´I can't understand on the CORSAIR website with the PSU selector that it shows that it will run 2 ATI radeon 4870's on 750W...but as you guys say it needs a 850W preferably 1000W for 2 x GTX 260's ..

The reason for my confusion is that I have read that the GTX 260 consume less power under idle AND load....and they run cooler which I suppose confirms that they use less power?? So why is it that when the 4870's and the like run hotter and use more power at idle AND load , the Corsair selector shows that a lower wattage PSU will run them compare to the 2 lower comsumption GTX260's.
Just curious and trying to learn...Please note English lit was my best subject at school...Physics I had to re-sit :)

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
Will run the the card is correct, but running anything at 100% load leads to premature failure, and when both are demanding more power the the PSU can provide performance drops, and temps go up, while cooling may not be as big an issue in Scandanavia as some of the rest of us have heat and low voltage are detrimental to electronics.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for reply..thought that was the case...(we use 230v ..thought USA / Canada was the same?)
Can you explain this part of my question....is it to do with the differt card architectures.

"The reason for my confusion is that I have read that the GTX 260 consume less power under idle AND load....and they run cooler which I suppose confirms that they use less power?? So why is it that when the 4870's and the like run hotter and use more power at idle AND load , the Corsair selector shows that a lower wattage PSU will run them compare to the 2 lower comsumption GTX260's.
Just curious and trying to learn...Please note English lit was my best subject at school...Physics I had to re-sit :) "

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts
US/Canada are 115v but that just lowers the line in amperage draw and does not effect the output may lower the heat inside the unit a bit though.

Here is the latest I have on power usage > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-275,2266-14.html

The HD4870 uses more then the GTX260 for sure.

I think the problem lies in the OC settings the 260 cards will ramp up current draw pretty quick where the 4870 is already high.

·
Registered
205 Posts
SO for a simpleton....the 2 GTX 260 when they are called into serious action is like turning on all the electrical equipment in the flat/home AT THE SAME TIME...causing the need for a large amount of energy at once...whilst 2/3 rds of the electrical equipmet in the house/flat are already on when the 4870 is called into serious action...needing more power but a lot less of a "shock to the grid..PSU"..?? correct? so its the surge out power needed ; and the fact that the surge is less with 4870's that enable 2 4870's to run on a lower wattage PSU.

What are these.. "in the OC settings the 260 cards will ramp up current "

PS no need to reply if you don't want...thanks for the link and the advice ..this is similar to what I have seen elsewhere...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.