Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband just purchased a slightly used computer - I know it is an HP, but the model # and everything are at home.

When I boot the computer up, it gives me the choice of selecting from 2 operating systems. XP Professional, and XP Home Edition. Somehow the XP Home Edition has been deleted, and the XP Professional is the only one loaded.

My problem is that XP Professional does not have the recovery options that I need.

Is there anyway for me to copy the HP files off of a "working" computer and run them on the "used" computer he bought? If so what files should I look for on our good HP?

Any advice is appreciated

Megan

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you say "recovery options" I'm not sure what you mean. It has been my experience with HP that the operating systems are not interchageable as each is good for that specific computer only. They usually come with a restore disk with the OS and programs for that system.

They also sometimes have a seperate partition for restoring but I dont think copying from one computer to another will work. You may want to start fresh with the restore disk if you have it but I would wait to see if anyone with more experience than I has an opinion first.

·
Registered
107 Posts
XP Pro has all the same recovery options as XP Home.

Are there some files you have lost?

I think we need more info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.