Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

If anyone can provide some suggestions on the following example it would be very appreciated, trust me! I will try and provide as many details as possible to make it easier.

I have 2 sites on the farm that I am trying to provide internet connection too. The first actually has the Wireless connection coming from my ISP and going into my Router and then into my PC, this is working great and get about 1.5MBbps respectivly. From here I have created a wireless bridge that links to the feed mill about 1km away, this link is working fine and I can get a valid IP from my Router when I test this with my Laptop. So at this point everything is working fine.

At the Feed Mill I have a desktop PC setup to monitor and control the feed mill, this has always been a stand alone process and never needed to put this PC on the internet, now for remote monitoring reasons we have decided to get the internet on this machine. Now currently the network setting on this desktop PC it has 2 connections to the feed mill Processing unit, one RS-232 and the other is using the only NIC on this PC.

The way the Desktop PC is setup with the Processing control unit is that the current NIC is statically assigned the IP 12.34.56.10 and the control unit has 12.34.56.1 and they are wired directly to each other in the same room, no switch or router at this site. On the other site where the ISP connection is my Router there is set at default with the 192.168.0.1 address and only has the desktop PC there on that network. All I'm looking to do is not disrupt the cuurent configuration and then add internet on that Desktop PC, just not sure how to attack this, I have added a second NIC in the past for situations like this but it hasn't had the best success, that was prior to the XP days, and I should add that both these PC's have Xp on them.

This is all I have to say, I can add network gear if required, switch or router but I want to make sure that I am doing this properly, the whole Idea is to be able to view this desktop PC at the feed mill from a remote location, softare of which I already have in mind(team viewer) I'm not sure if I can change network settings for the 12.34.56.x network so I will try not to right now as I wouldn't know how to on the Processing Unit Controller.

Let me know if I am leaving anything out and I can provide more info promptly.

Thanks,

Cory

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have thought about this, just to clarify that there shouldn't be any problems with IE for choosing what NIC to use for internet connectivity, anyways I hope this works, any other suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks,

Cory

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,033 Posts
Well, the link that goes to the feed mill just has to be manually configured, and you leave the Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses blank. This will route all external requests to the wireless connection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.