Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 7 months ago, I built a PC. I just bought a Dell Dimension 9100 to replace it.

question is, should I re-use my old components in my new PC?

RAM is a no brainer - I'll be installing that.

I had a 160GB hard drive in my custom build, which I think I would like to install as a 2nd hard drive in the 9100. but, I'm not really sure how to do this - any guides out there on how I should set up 2 hard drives? it's a WD.

what about my old video card? it's an ok card, 128MB Nvidia 5500 I think. I'm not a gamer, and I'm pretty sure I don't come close to using all of the video card that came with the 9100. is there any reason to install a 2nd card? I guess it would give me another DVI slot, and the ability to run quad monitors, but these are both things I don't need right now.

tyia.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
it depends on what you are using the new pc for. i was having a quick read on the specs of the 9100 and it's hard to know how you can add to it with what you have. this is where i was reading about it, maybe it's not exactly what you have.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Dimension_9100/4505-3118_7-31403779-2.html?tag=nav

i think 2 pc's can be alot better than 1... i use 2 myself and some stage soon i'll probably build a 3rd. i render images and do a small bit of video editing so the second pc lets me work on other stuff, while it's grinding away. i've been known to play some halflife on occasion as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
freddyhard said:
it depends on what you are using the new pc for. i was having a quick read on the specs of the 9100 and it's hard to know how you can add to it with what you have. this is where i was reading about it, maybe it's not exactly what you have.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Dimension_9100/4505-3118_7-31403779-2.html?tag=nav

i think 2 pc's can be alot better than 1... i use 2 myself and some stage soon i'll probably build a 3rd. i render images and do a small bit of video editing so the second pc lets me work on other stuff, while it's grinding away. i've been known to play some halflife on occasion as well.

tx. what about the hard drives? I think the Dell is SATA, but my old hard drive is IDE; does this mean I can't install it?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
i don't see why not, but it would depend on the channels on the dell mobo. you can get converters so that you can connect an ide HD to a sata channel.

http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/serial-ata-ide-converter.htm

i haven't done so myself so i don't know how smooth it would work. if there is a free ide channel then you are laughing, otherwise you can share the channel being used by the cd-drive. as far as i know sharing an cd-drive with a HD slows access times to the HD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
freddyhard said:
i don't see why not, but it would depend on the channels on the dell mobo. you can get converters so that you can connect an ide HD to a sata channel.

http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/serial-ata-ide-converter.htm

i haven't done so myself so i don't know how smooth it would work. if there is a free ide channel then you are laughing, otherwise you can share the channel being used by the cd-drive. as far as i know sharing an cd-drive with a HD slows access times to the HD.

thanks again! do you know how I could identify if there is a free IDE channel?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
the only way i know is to open the case and look at the drives attached. you can have 2 devices on 1 ide channel, remember to set 1 to slave and the other to master.
i'm guessing, but the dell HD would be attached to an SATA channel and the cd-drive to the ide channel. if this is the case you can set your spare HD to slave and connect it along with the cd-drive cable. cable lengths might be a issue here, again you'll have to check how the devices are setup inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.