Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi, i had previously been running 2 hard drives and was fine. then i decided i didnt want all the stuff on the slave drive so just deleted all of it (didnt format).
when i next went to load comp it did not load up, i fiddled for a while but came to the conclusion that i had broken it.
so in a state of panic i bought a new hard drive, but now the bios wont even detect it.. i have tried re-installing xp on each of the hard drives in my posession but with no prevail. i think it might be my xp disc, as it goes to load windows i get a BSOD and it tells me to run chkdsc.. but how can i run it if i cant get to windows? :4-dontkno
i need my computer for college! all are IDE drives.
xp disc? or maybe motherboard settings? please any help would be great.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,346 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF.
You don't need to get into Windows to run chkdsk. Boot from the installation CD and at the Welcome screen, press R for Recovery Console. You should then be able to run chkdsk. If you suspect your drive is damaged, I would also suggest you download the disc manufacturer's diagnostic program and run that. You will need to create a floppy disc to do this.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Hi, welcome to TSF. :wave:

Does XP setup finish - and XP hangs on first start-up?

How are the drives hooked up? The drive you want to install XP on should be a master drive.

Run diagnostic tests from the HDD manufacturer - and use their tools to format the drive.

**edit** John beat me. :smile:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive tried pressing R on the setup screen, but nothing happens. as when i boot from disc it goes straight into windows set up, i only get two choices automatic system recovery which requires a disc and the option to install 3rd party or raid drivers.
the disc finishes windows set up and then gets a stop error when loading windows. :(
thank u 4 the fast replys!
is there anyway i could force the bios to find the undetected hd?

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,346 Posts
Sorry that didn't work, and 'no' to your last question. Check that all your connectors are firmly plugged in and that the power is connected. That might sound silly, but I've done that myself; swapped the hard drive, plugged in the IDE cable and forgotten to plug in the power cable. :grin: If it's not that, I think your next course of action would be to try the manufacturer's diagnostic disc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
yay hex!
so 0x7B search comes up with in-accesable boot device,
could i format the hdd with a different computer or would it take on information about that motherboard etc and then not work on mine?
i dont care about anything that is on the hdd, is there anywhere/anything that could wipe it and revert it to a blank state?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im still not sure, i have ruled out the possibilty of it being the hdd and have
got the new one working. :)
yet i am still getting the same stop error.
i just dnt get why a year ago the disc worked fine but now it wont!?
i have tried new xp disc but it wont seem to load, i burnt it in iso format on
a cd and loads on my laptop but not on the computer...(legit copy)

is there anything stored on the motherboard or components that would conflict?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.