Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1t gig external hard drive and i started to notice that the sound changed coming from it when it moves files over also i had a few times i couldn't get in to the files and then i would plug it back in and i can get in to them again. I posted on here and someone said it could be me unplugging while its engaging. I have stopped unplugging while its engaging i used to do this when i would clean and i was watching videos. So i scanned the hard disk because i had a utility HD tune pro and i found 2 bad sectors. one is hd tune pro any good does it pick up all bad sectors and 2 can i remove these 2 bad sectors from my external hard disk or at least quarantine them so no data gets written on these sectors because i havnt really got any clicking noises just a louder noise when its working hard. I understand you can go through properties and chkdsk but when i went to do something like that a while back i couldn't get back in to my data and it shocked me so i never ran it again. When i say something like that i mean i didnt choose the second tick option to scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors but i ticked the first one fix file system errors and i couldnt go back in to the folders on my external hd. So basically can i do that second option and not loose anything? Also would it work on a external hard disk because it starts from windows boot

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks man i went to the shop about my laptop anyways and they didnt even test it they gave me a new one straight away but i think its like you said there was no problem just had a bad sector. A bit odd tho as it was new but this computer seems to make the same noises but a little less and whats the chance of getting two laptops brand new with dodgy hard drives that would be flukey.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.