Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Gateway LX6810-01 desktop and then I purchased another internal hard drive. (1TB Western Digital Serial ATA) I installed it using the Raid 0 setting and it says it is installed but when I go to My Computer it shows that there is no other hard drive. Then when I go to disk management it comes up as being there but it says unallocated. So what I am trying to ask is how do I get the new hard drive to combine with the original one?

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
If you lose one drive, you lose all data, if you keep two distinct drives, OS and Apps on one, pagefile and data on teh other, then you can back up just the data file. And if you lose a drive, you lose only half your data. RAID0 does have it's place. High volume video render farms benefit from the speed increases you can achieve with large capacity RAID0 arrays, but there is little to no advantage for a home user to create a RAID0 - in fact RAID stands for Redundant array of Inexpensive ( or Independednt ) Disks and with RAID0 there is no redundancy. Unless you are planning on having individual files of several hundred GB, there is not much of an advatage, and in fact if you suffer a failure, it is a disadvantage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.