Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to install a program, an annoying window-notice appears. Its title is '16bit windows subsystem' and it says: "C/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/AYTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS_DOS and Microsoft Window applications".
This problem started when I converted to NTFS. I have a Toshiba laptop with windowsXP.
Some programms work, some can't be installed and they bring this notice instead. I ran the compatibility wizard but it doesn't solve the problem
The programs that require MS-DOS don't work; weird
Well I just found out that the particular program that torments me, comes with two versions. One for 32bit and one for 16bit system. Mine needs the 16bit version but once it is installed as a 32bit version, the correct version won't ever b installed unless I copy the correct msvcrt.dll at the system listing.
What is the system listing anyway? How do I find the msvcrt.dll?
Confusing...

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Dos will not run on NTFS drives. If you want to use dos you will have to Fdisk the drive and reformat it. or at least a partition for it ot run on, if you want to run both on the same drive. Some old programs will not run on NTFS. :4-dontkno

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.