Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Today i started getting a strange error that I've never gotten before and supposedly came out of the blue (picture attached) and won't go away with a simple 'OK' click. It just sort of stays there.
For good measure, it's an error about 'Unsupported 16-bit application' that 'cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows'.
In this case it seems to be a rather important Nvidia application, but I don't know much about this stuff.

I looked the problem up and it seems there are only a few posts about this problem and they all have completely different takes on what the problem is and how to solve it. Some say it's a simple computing error that can be solved by running the application in XP-compatibility and some say it's a serious malware problem that is solved by rather extensive Combofix routine.
All the applications mentioned are different from post to post. Some are smaller things like video games and some are system32 errors. All the posts are quite old and quite advanced and the solutions are tailored to the specific problem (there doesn't seem to be an all-around easy fix).

I am asking for help to figure out if this is a simple computing error or malware. I am in no way skilled with programs like Combofix and I am of course not going to start experimenting for the hell of it. This seems like a program that requires some knowledge to use.

Any help one way or the other is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,873 Posts
What were you attempting to run when you got the message? If it works in XP Mode, that's the solution.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.