Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did my brand new WD Red 16TB just start making this noise today? I ran two self tests an hour or two before it started making these noises on it's own. It did it 3 times in about an hour.

See link with attached audio file below:

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why did my brand new WD Red 16TB just start making this noise today? I ran two self tests an hour or two before it started making these noises on it's own. It did it 3 times in about an hour.

See link with attached audio file below:

I can't tell from the attachment if it's actually the disc.
It was actually the disc, I took the side off of my PC case and felt the hard drive it was vibrating

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,774 Posts
Check the cage to case fasteners. Don't keep running or you'll damage the HD.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,606 Posts
This sounds more like a fan then the drive.
You can test this theory by removing the drive and attaching a USB Adapter with a power adapter. Don't plug in the USB to the computer just power it up. If it makes the same noise, then take it back to place of purchase for a free replaement

· Registered
5,904 Posts
WD drives are usually more noisy because their internal components are more robust. High-performance drives are even noisier because their stepper motors have to move their read-write heads very fast. Very large capacity drives are even noisier because there are so many read-write heads for the stepper motor to move.

That said, the drive should be making that constant noise. The only time it might do that is if you were performing a random read/write test. Were you?

Here is the noise from a WD Red 16 TB.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/up9e4l

· Registered
5,904 Posts
What is causing the slow "metronome" click that WD drives have is a feature called Preventive Wear Leveling, which is a periodic head sweep designed to distribute lubricant and prevent wear.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WD drives are usually more noisy because their internal components are more robust. High-performance drives are even noisier because their stepper motors have to move their read-write heads very fast. Very large capacity drives are even noisier because there are so many read-write heads for the stepper motor to move.

That said, the drive should be making that constant noise. The only time it might do that is if you were performing a random read/write test. Were you?

Here is the noise from a WD Red 16 TB.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/up9e4l
I performed two short self tests with GSmartControl probably an hour before it first made this noise. It passed the tests but the reason I tested it is because I discovered that it had 1 reported "Mechanical Start Failure".

The video you posted sounds exactly like the amount of acceptable/normal noise that you would expect a large capacity drive to make, the noise mine is making is just bizarre - it seems to do it at random?

Im just super annoyed that I have to go through this huge inconvenience after only having the drive for 10 days. It makes me wanna give Seagate a fair chance, which to be honest I never really have!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts