Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

0xd1 BSOD

Tags
eah6950
2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  VirGnarus 
#1 ·
I've been getting these crashes more than once a day sometimes within the hour. I really need to get to the bottom of this.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 0000000000000008
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: FFFFF8800172A4F4
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\071911-20779-01.dmp
C:\Users\*******\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-35739-0.sysdata.xml

See less See more
#4 ·
jcgriff2 BSOD Output

Questions Asked and Answered

OS - Windows 7 ?
· x64 ?
· What was original installed OS on system? Windows 7 Home
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Retail
· Age of system (hardware) Few weeks
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Just installed when computer was built.

· CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition
· Video Card: Asus EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5
· MotherBoard: ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme
· Power Supply - KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W

Attachments

#5 ·
It looks like you're using the onboard network controller. The reason I mention this is because every single crash points blame on your network controller drivers. I notice your drivers for it are pretty outdated (July 2010) but it did seem like you tried to update em (older crashdumps show it being Nov 2009). Are there no drivers newer than this?

I've done some googling, and found a few others that had the exact same scenario - same crashdumps and everything. They found the network adapter itself was faulty, and by replacing it it turned out good. The problem you have is that if this is onboard, then you will have to end up replacing the whole board. It may be possible to purchase a cheap network card and use that to resolve the issue, but being onboard and having problems can be signs of a motherboard that generally has suffered in the manufacturing process. This could result in other problems occurring in the future.

Given the very consistent behavior, I personally don't think it's hardware. However, it's rather certain the drivers for that network controller aren't up to snuff, and if updating it any further isn't going to resolve things, then it's faulty hardware of a long-standing bug in the drivers, which will require you to get a replacement for either the mobo or a purchase a separate network card.

There is the small chance something else is interfering with the network drivers. You can determine by running Driver Verifier and let it crash a few more times. If it still blames your card's drivers, then my original diagnosis still stands.

#9 ·
Status update:

I went to Intel's website. I figure perhaps downloading the driver manually wasn't working out. So I tried to get their little 'do it for you' driver updater thing. soon as I tried getting it to install, another BSOD caused from a different file. CPUdrv64.sys or something to that effect.

I've attached dump files from yesterday and today. This is getting out of hand.

Attachments

#10 ·
"This software may also apply to Intel® Ethernet controllers. Support for built-in network connections is provided by the system or board manufacturer."

This was from Intel's driver download page. Is it saying I'd have to go to Asus for my drivers (granted that's the motherboard's brand)? if so, i did pay a visit to asus. I found drivers for the network aaaand, one they're still from 2010, and secondly it's just a folder of a bunch of files I have no idea what to do with. There's no extractor or anything so I have no clue what to do with them.

#11 ·
You manually install the drivers using the files present. You first have to uninstall the drivers you already have, then type "hdwwiz" in your Start menu to find the Add Hardware Device Wizard. Use that to discover your network controller, then manually tell it to look at the folder with the driver files inside it that you retrieved. Let it do its thing and then restart and it should be fine.

If this in itself does not work, then update BIOS and entire motherboard chipset drivers. If this still does not work, then replace the motherboard.

Btw, have you tried running Driver Verifier yet?

#12 ·
I did run the driver verifier and nothing happened. No crash or anything.

By the way, due to my need for a working internet connection for a very important project I had for a customer, I pushed out 10$ for a networking card and have yet to BSOD since my last post. This seems to have solved the issue. However, I do want to see if I can do without it later on. I want the space on my motherboard back.

I appreciate your help altogether, and I will try to follow your instructions as soon as I am done with this project. Again, thank you very much for your time. You've opened up a lot that I wasn't aware of.

#13 ·
Driver Verifier is just an extra set of checks Windows does on drivers you selected to ensure they're running ok. If a driver fails any of these checks, it will BSOD. Let DV run in the background while you use your computer normally, and if any BSODs do occur send the resulting crashdumps to us.

As this seems to confirm moreso, the network controller on your motherboard is to blame. Whether it's the drivers or the chip itself, I don't know. The only way to determine this is to send us a kernel dump (which are massive) and hopefully through long, thorough analysis the bug in the driver is found, or through replacing the motherboard and testing it on a new board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.