Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

first time posting, so not really sure if this would be a vista question or hardware.

A friend's PC is getting the 0xc00000e9 error .. An unexpected I/O error has occured.

System is stock Toshiba Satellite C650D-007 (AMD CPU, 3GB, 320GB HD etc)

When she boots the system, it gets to the Windows Error Recovery. Options are Launch Startup Repair (recommended)(LSR) and Start Windows Normally(SWN). Upon going to LSR.. windows is loading bar scrolls.. it gets to about 65% .. then it goes to the status 0xc00000e9 error.

Selecting SWN, the windows splash screen starts then after about 3-5 mins Microsoft Blue Screen flashes and the system reboots.

I powered off the system and installed her HD into my laptop as secondary (to be able to transfer any information onto a external for backup).. and my laptop gets that boot error.

I inserted a clean version of Win 7 Home Prem, and rebooted expecting to be able to format HD but DVD drive stops spinning. All i get is a blank screen with cursor.

I am thinking that the Drive is bad or has crashed.

any attmepts to go F8 to Safemode takes me back to error screens. Unable to get to C prompt, to do checkdisk.

Any help would be appreciated

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts
You can do a check disk in DOS and see that way;

1. Put your windows CD in the drive and Boot from CD.
  2. When you see the message Press any key to boot from CD, press a key (If you miss it, reboot the computer and try again).
  3. When you get to the Windows installation screen, it will tell you to press R to enter Recovery Mode - Press R.
  4. It may ask you which windows installation you want to boot to - On most systems, this will be (1), but if you have a dual boot system or a second HDD installed, then it may be different.
  5. You will be asked for a password; If the Administrator password has been set, use this. If not, leave it blank.
  6. You will now see a command prompt, type in CHKDSK /R, and press ENTER.

Else you can grab Drive Fitness from my signature and run that over it?

/ Crit

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can do a check disk in DOS and see that way;

1. Put your windows CD in the drive and Boot from CD.
  2. When you see the message Press any key to boot from CD, press a key (If you miss it, reboot the computer and try again).
  3. When you get to the Windows installation screen, it will tell you to press R to enter Recovery Mode - Press R.
  4. It may ask you which windows installation you want to boot to - On most systems, this will be (1), but if you have a dual boot system or a second HDD installed, then it may be different.
  5. You will be asked for a password; If the Administrator password has been set, use this. If not, leave it blank.
  6. You will now see a command prompt, type in CHKDSK /R, and press ENTER.

Else you can grab Drive Fitness from my signature and run that over it?

/ Crit

Unfortunatly, when i put the disc in and start with (3) the screen goes black with only a cursor. I let it sit for 30 mins the first time.. then hour the second time.

I removed the HD and installed it on another system and get the same error. I am presuming that it may be that the HD failed.

·
TSF Enthusiast
908 Posts
I am presuming that it may be that the HD failed.
Could well be - Can you slave it in to another system and then run Drive Fitness?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.