Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > Computer Security News

User Tag List

FYI - Regarding AVG/Avast AV and their related products.

This is a discussion on FYI - Regarding AVG/Avast AV and their related products. within the Computer Security News forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Originally Posted by britechguy P.T. Barnum was not wrong, unfortunately. It's also shocking just how much privacy, money, whatever that

Like Tree2Likes

Old 02-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
P.T. Barnum was not wrong, unfortunately.

It's also shocking just how much privacy, money, whatever that many people are willing to sacrifice for convenience, and often very minimal increases in same.
This is so true.
Here we have a big supermarket chain that has a "loyalty" card. Swipe it at purchase and you get "rewarded". Which is very little reward for the information you have handed over.
It now appears that even if you do not swipe the loyalty card, but pay with a credit/debit card that you have used before, the supermarket automatically links that card to you!
So, did anyone know they were giving permission to the supermarket to record, keep and link your card?
And I wonder if anyone knows they have given permission for that data to be used (sold for profit) by the supermarket however it sees fit?
All to get a dollar off at the register. (Don't mention that they've already got that dollar and more back in the items you purchased)
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #22
Registered Member

While we are talking about data collection, does Windows 10 collect data or Microsoft with Windows 10? I was wondering because I was looking thru the Privacy settings in Settings a there is a lot of things that are turned on. Does any turn these off? I did mine. Lemme know thoughts about this please. May others benefit from the answer too.
Thanks
jonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:23 PM   #23
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

The more they know about you, the more they can help help you. They can also help themselves to the contents of your wallet.
Deejay100six likes this.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #24
Registered Member

Sounds like nothing can be stored online securely. I wouldn't be surprised if such situation had happed with some small company (scam-newbies). But with such big ones... I'm disappointed. It sounds like a big scandal tho.
9655-Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #25
Security Team

Depends on what you mean by securely, and secure from who.

There's no denying that online backups are convenient, and have several advantages over offline ones, however nothing that is online is ever going to be as secure as something that isn't.

Personally, if I were to store sensitive data online, then even if that data was encrypted during the storage process, I would still only upload it to the online storage server after I had first encrypted it myself, using a separate encryption program.

That would secure the actual data from being read by the storage company, or from anyone being able to access the decryption key to your data, from the storage server, since your data has been double encrypted, and the key to the second decryption can only be found on your machine.

What that would not do of course, is secure the metadata that the storage company would collect about you, which is often more valuable to some people than the data that you're storing.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:31 AM   #26
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9655-Duncan View Post
Sounds like nothing can be stored online securely. I wouldn't be surprised if such situation had happed with some small company (scam-newbies). But with such big ones... I'm disappointed. It sounds like a big scandal tho.
Not as big a scandal as you think. Giant industry players have been at it for a long time now.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote