Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows Servers

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Server 2k3 with 2 NICs - Internet Problem

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Server 2k3 with 2 NICs - Internet Problem within the Windows Servers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi wasn't sure if i should post this question in this area or in general networking but here is my

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi wasn't sure if i should post this question in this area or in general networking but here is my problem! I'm new to all this and this is my first server i think I've done well so far.... Please be gentile! :P

I have a Windows Server 2003 box running DHCP, DNS, AD, File & Printer Share.

The Server has 2 NICs. One for the internal Network (NIC1) and the other (NIC2) for the internet. Here is my setup (inline):

Internet

Belkin Router (DHCP & NAT both on):
IP: 192.168.2.1

NIC2 (Auto Obtain) for internet:
IP: 192.168.2.16
SNM: 255.255.255.0
DGW:192.168.2.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
DNS Server: 192.168.2.1

Server 2k3 (DHCP, DNS, AD, File & Print Share):
IP: 192.168.1.8

NIC1 (Static) for internal networking:
IP: 192.168.1.8
DGW: Blank
DHCP Server: Not shown in Details
DNS Server: 192.168.1.8

Cisco Switch (No info just used as a hub)

Belkin Router (DHCP: on & NAT: off):

IP: 192.168.1.1

PC1 (Office) Wired Direct (Static)
(Not on Domain - attached as Workgroup Computer)
IP: 192.168.1.3
DGW: 192.168.1.8

PC2 (Shop) Wireless to Router (Static) on Domain:
IP: 192.168.1.4
DGW: 192.168.1.8

The workstations communicate Great with the Server and the Server communicates Great with them (No Problems with file sharing or accessing anything other than the Internet)!

The Server has Internet Access That works Great.

However, NONE of the workstations can access the Internet through the Server!!!

So there is my Question -- What do I Need to do to give the workstations the ability to access the internet??? And HOW? Remember I am new to all this so a very detailed explanation and a walk through would be GREAT!!! Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
TSF Emeritus

google RRAS.

If self training much better to get one of the MCSE books and walk thru it for a full understanding. Doing pieces and parts does not prepare you for the real world.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
google RRAS.

If self training much better to get one of the MCSE books and walk thru it for a full understanding. Doing pieces and parts does not prepare you for the real world.
I've built a lucrative business on self training like this! I have owned and Operated a Computer Build, Repair and Consulting business since 2003 and Started Web Design this year as well (on my own) -- all from my own Self Taught technique. I have a High School Diploma and 4 years US Navy Sonar Tech background and that is it. No formal training in computers in any aspect. My business is all I do and it does a lot more than just pay the bills! ---

But seriously all I need is a little guidance. This is the first time I have ever asked for help! And I am not proud of that!

I have searched RRAS and have tried a few different scenarios but I have yet to find a solution! If you could, I would really appreciate the assistance!!!

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
TSF Emeritus

It would appear to me you want to use your server as a router for workstation internet access.

If so review RRAS and NAT.

‪RRAS Setting Up NAT (Network Address Translation)‬‏ - YouTube

You have to build a proper foundation if you expect the house you build to stay standing. Learning/training follows the same rule.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Registered Member

OK - I got it! WOW I had to walk away for a min. just to keep from pulling my hair out!

Came back, sat down and BOOM There it was staring me right in the Face!

When I configured The RRAS NAT I chose the wrong NIC! That was it!

For those of you interested if anyone else looks at this post and are having the Same issue.

Using the information above in my original post you can see NIC2 has Internet already NIC1 has the internal private Network.

Setup Routing and Remote Access Server Enable NAT then when NAT asks you to choose your connection..... Choose the NIC that has the internet attached (NIC2 for me). Complete the setup and there you go. Now if you have more than two NICs then I believe it will ask you to select the network that will have shared Internet access --- This is your Private Network (NIC1 for me)!

Hope this helps someone else!
Closed Thread