User Tag List

Tech Support Scam

This is a discussion on Tech Support Scam within the Comments & Announcements forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am not sure if I've been scammed. I do not know what to do. The company Camusinfotech inc took

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am not sure if I've been scammed. I do not know what to do. The company
Camusinfotech inc took control of my computer to check it. I paid them for lifetime support. I checked their company on google and it is in business for 4 years. However I think I was scammed. Your help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Did you contact them or did they call you on the phone??

I regularly get phone calls informing me my computer has a virus.....last time was a few hours ago. Sometimes I play along and waste their time but never, never let them take remote control of my machine.

https://reportscam.com/camusinfotechcom/

Call your bank and explain your situation.....you should be able to cancel the transaction and have the money credited to your account.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I would not trust a third party company that uses remote support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by -WOLF- View Post
I would not trust a third party company that uses remote support.
I second that...I was using Avira anti-virus when they sent an update that completely lock me out of the internet except for their site. Call them and their tech support proceed with access to my computer after I granted the access. Once they proceed to completely lock up my system and then demand a bunch money to repair it. I told I would just fix myself. They then told good luck with that as a hateful comment like it couldn't be fixed without them.

Luckily I had just back the system just a day before the update so I wipe the HD and reinstalled the backup. From there I will never install their software again; don't care if it is free. I am sticking the MS antivirus software that is installed on my system by Microsoft.

I since upgrade both systems by replacement systems with Win7 64 bit as some my other software was now requiring a better motherboard and chipset.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:19 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVB View Post
I second that...I was using Avira anti-virus when they sent an update that completely lock me out of the internet except for their site. Call them and their tech support proceed with access to my computer after I granted the access. Once they proceed to completely lock up my system and then demand a bunch money to repair it. I told I would just fix myself. They then told good luck with that as a hateful comment like it couldn't be fixed without them.

Luckily I had just back the system just a day before the update so I wipe the HD and reinstalled the backup. From there I will never install their software again; don't care if it is free. I am sticking the MS antivirus software that is installed on my system by Microsoft.

I since upgrade both systems by replacement systems with Win7 64 bit as some my other software was now requiring a better motherboard and chipset.
That was not Avira at that point; ransomware scammers have become quite clever and are able to make false reports appear like they come from any software in your system but they are not indeed legitimate. Avira is an old and respected antimalware software company. Not to say that you are wrong to merely trust Microsoft's first party software however don't allow unscrupulous folk to mire your perception of otherwise entirely respectable names and companies.

Unfortunately many people are far too willing to divulge their personal information and deplete their security in the name of convenience.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:45 AM   #6
AVB
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by -WOLF- View Post
That was not Avira at that point; ransomware scammers have become quite clever and are able to make false reports appear like they come from any software in your system but they are not indeed legitimate. Avira is an old and respected antimalware software company. Not to say that you are wrong to merely trust Microsoft's first party software however don't allow unscrupulous folk to mire your perception of otherwise entirely respectable names and companies.

Unfortunately many people are far too willing to divulge their personal information and deplete their security in the name of convenience.
I beg to differ on this as it was the Avira software that created the problem in the first place as they had did an upgrade of their software which no longer supported my CPU which is what initial caused the problem. I had to do my own research to find out they went with the newly release at that time chipset protocols on had wrote out the older chipsets routines.

They basically were refusing to fix a problem caused by their software. As long as I ran the old version which would not receive anti virus updates I was fine. I had to switch providers until I finally installed two new systems here this last fall as my systems were becoming unreliable as I lost one IDE channel and three monitors within one month. On top of that FF quit updating because of my chipsets as they switched over too.

So personally I will not trust Avira again but that is my personal choice.
Closed Thread