Go Back   Tech Support Forum > TSF Community Comments and More > Comments & Announcements

User Tag List

Seeing a Significant Downturn In Thread/Post Traffic

This is a discussion on Seeing a Significant Downturn In Thread/Post Traffic within the Comments & Announcements forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Many days there aren't but a small handful of posts. Yesterday only about a dozen threads or so were posted

Like Tree16Likes
Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 04:28 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Many days there aren't but a small handful of posts. Yesterday only about a dozen threads or so were posted to. Even the member currently viewing list at the bottom of the page only seems to show small numbers.

I have an idea or two as to why. And it's not that people are abandoning forums in favor of that other type of site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2018, 04:40 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

So do tell.....
Old 10-03-2018, 04:45 AM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

For me....I was out of work for a little over a year and had all the time in the world to play on my PC. Now I've re-entered the work force and with my odd shifts it's hard to get on the PC with the household duties to be taken care of as well.

Last night I didn't get home till a little after 11 pm, chit chatted with the wife, grabbed a bite to eat and showered and off to bed. Then turn around and open in the morning. Crazy!

With winter just around the corner, shifts will be cut and hours will be hard to come by....for some. A few of us will be OK (me). So I'll have some decent time to spend on the forum.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:55 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

It's because Windows 10 has solved all the problems.
Seriously, all forums are in decline as users have found other pursuits.
Stancestans likes this.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
So do tell.....
Immunity?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post
Immunity?
You're more than welcome to share you opinion as to why. However, please keep it PG and not pointing fingers.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Brace yourselves for threads about broken device drivers with Windows 10 October Update out! I won't forget the ordeal I had with Fall Creators Update and the HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor in my ProBook! It wasn't until December last year that an updated driver was published by HP, but by then I had given up looking for one and had resorted to disabling the sensor which was almost always crashing Windows on resume from sleep! Enter v1803 and I couldn't wait to upgrade, so I did via insider program and eagerly went searching for an updated driver for the sensor, and found the Dec one which has worked flawlessly since! My Toshiba was next to suffer when brightness controls were maxed out and never changed, but fortunately this was fixed by the June update! Don't get me started on bluetooth woes! Other than the My Phone app, I'm not so eager to upgrade my main installation, but I am going to do a fresh install on a virtual disk and dual-boot, to make sure drivers woes are non-existent!
Old 10-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
You're more than welcome to share you opinion as to why. However, please keep it PG and not pointing fingers.
Well, it's Staff related, so ...
Old 10-04-2018, 05:49 AM   #9
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If it involves an expert on MS Office, then you're mistaken. PM me if otherwise.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:52 AM   #10
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

I have just done the 1809 upgrade on my laptop and PC and nothing has gone wro..... (BLUE SCREEN)
Stancestans and SpywareDr like this.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:16 AM   #11
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cummings View Post
I have just done the 1809 upgrade on my laptop and PC and nothing has gone wro..... (BLUE SCREEN)
"[BLUE SCREAM]"?
VividProfessional likes this.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

We disagree.

But take a look yourselves at the number of new posters who come with a problem, get an effective resolution, then decide to stay and try to help others. They're few and far between. They watch, they see how others are treated, maybe they're made to feel unwelcome themselves. They don't stay long. Maybe they just lurk for a while before wandering off shaking their heads.

I've seen things here that I sometimes see on boards not long before their demise. I've seen a couple of boards follow a pattern, then suddenly go private, not accepting new members at all.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
We disagree.

But take a look yourselves at the number of new posters who come with a problem, get an effective resolution, then decide to stay and try to help others. They're few and far between. They watch, they see how others are treated, maybe they're made to feel unwelcome themselves. They don't stay long. Maybe they just lurk for a while before wandering off shaking their heads.

I've seen things here that I sometimes see on boards not long before their demise. I've seen a couple of boards follow a pattern, then suddenly go private, not accepting new members at all.
Care to link any threads that showcase the short-lived stay of new comers who wish to help others? TSF is tough on those who wanna play by their own rules. If you come here with your own agenda that doesn't fit, I can assure you that you won't last long, and I'm not saying that with any administrative authority. We've seen a number of new comers who somewhat seemed to know what they were talking about in the beginning, and some did actually make helpful and knowledgeable contributions, but they had to go for various valid reasons.

All help is welcome on TSF, but we are all expected to maintain some etiquette and abide by the rules and heed warnings and advice when we step outta line. I particularly remember one member who has since vanished in the shadows, who wasn't happy with the fact that we referred them to Chrome's user license agreement and to a Google page that outright answered the question they were posting about, and the fact that the answer was a quick Google search away. I personally like to help the best way I can, and that includes teaching people to help themselves, but some members are not happy about it. They don't wanna do a quick Web search for the query they have, they wanna start a thread here and get back answers from us and not some external source, even if that external source is best equipped to explain it to them than we are. Some won't give an external link a second look and instead want us to reproduce the same things here. If you searched this forum for "reinventing" you'll see what I'm talking about.

Everyone is different and expectations vary from person to person, so it's impossible to please everyone. Some take issue with how you present instructions, and some do their own things when instructed to do otherwise, some peddle their own ideas and beliefs and won't budge while ironically seeking help with their bad ideas! Some have no regard for rules and they want an open season where everything goes. Present them a link to the rules and you've opened a can of worms. Some want TSF to work like some other shady forum they joined, some want to rant about things we have no involvement in or control over, and they take offense when we state that. There are all sorts of characters here, and those that have found this place to be unfriendly certainly had expectations that they wanted to be met. I could go on and on, but one thing is for sure; there are some characters whose presence I don't miss if they've moved on.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:57 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

So, you're bopping around the web looking for a place to ask about a problem you're having. You stumble on a site that looks promising on the surface. So you lurk a bit and start reading a few threads to see what the tone of the board is. At first it looks good, but the more you read, the more you see:

- Staff almost arguing with each other.
- People asking questions and getting replies to 'Go Fish!' (do this search or that search) on other sites.
- Threads that start out good with a number of replies from different points of view. You come back later to find half of the replies gone, leaving only a very guided point of view.
- Threads locked for no apparent reason. Maybe there's a stern closing post, maybe not.
- You begin to notice that there are more Mods, Experts and other titled members posting than people asking questions.

Wouldn't you begin to wonder if that board is the place you thought it was at first?

To be honest, this isn't the first VerticalScope board I've seen that happen to. I'm active on several other boards and the VS boards have almost all seen declining traffic due to similar types of problems. Admin almost seems to become overwhelmed and begins to ramp up various tactics. Not long after, members begin falling away. This time frame varies by board and topic with some memberships being more or less tolerant.

As you begin to fall away and look for other sites, you begin to see some of those same members on those new boards getting along better.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:43 AM   #15
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

If you are unhappy then perhaps this is not the place for you, Stan has given you some very apt and clear explanations for a variety of the issues your bringing up but it appears they do not fit with what you believe should happen, unfortunately we cannot run the forum on your expectation but on what works for the majority and most people would be happy to see a active team of mods etc answering threads and also see the value in teaching people how to use search engines or providing links to gain more insight into their issues rather than repeating the information verbatim.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:58 AM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Quote:

- Threads that start out good with a number of replies from different points of view. You come back later to find half of the replies gone, leaving only a very guided point of view.
This why I thought you were referring to a particular person. You made three consecutive off topic and in one case argumentative posts and the mod was correct in deleting. You might not have known, a staff member's post was deleted also. Three other posts in the same thread were deleted because questionable software suppliers were touted. We try to protect our users.
Stancestans and SpywareDr like this.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:59 AM   #17
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also
I see nothing wrong with guidance. NOT everything goes, and that's not gonna change for sure because sanity has to be maintained somehow.
SpywareDr likes this.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:42 AM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
If you are unhappy then perhaps this is not the place for you,

But don't you see? That's exactly the problem. How many lurkers are out there reading that post as unwelcoming and deciding to leave without ever posting to begin with?
Old 10-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
I see nothing wrong with guidance. NOT everything goes, and that's not gonna change for sure because sanity has to be maintained somehow.
There is a difference between guidance (helpful and informative) and guided (limiting conversation to only one point of view).
Old 10-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #20
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
How many lurkers are out there reading that post as unwelcoming and deciding to leave without ever posting to begin with?
Wouldn't they feel that the Mods/Admins are doing a good job maintaining the forum by cleaning up unwanted opinions and off topic/misleading comments ?

Closed Thread