User Tag List

Recent Discussions

This is a discussion on Recent Discussions within the Comments & Announcements forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. In the Recent Discussions panel on the right of the forum, why does clicking on a thread link often redirect

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

In the Recent Discussions panel on the right of the forum, why does clicking on a thread link often redirect me to an in-line post rather than the start of the thread?

This doesn't seem right.

Anyone else experience this?
Is the 'freedom of choice and action' that is offered to the individual, freedom to decide for himself what is moral or immoral, society remaining neutral; or is it freedom to be immoral if he wants to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

It usually takes you to the last post or the last post you visited.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Not true. I clicked a thread link that I'd never visited whatsoever and it brought me to a random post on the first page.
Is the 'freedom of choice and action' that is offered to the individual, freedom to decide for himself what is moral or immoral, society remaining neutral; or is it freedom to be immoral if he wants to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Whoa pull back there I said it usually does it, then again I have been using it a long time so perhaps that is why it does it for me.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hm, apologies. Still strange. I wonder if there's a way to change it so that it redirects me to the main post each time. You can see the URL has the post ID in it.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I don't see anything to allow that it is probably set by the VS admins

Old 02-25-2014, 04:34 AM   #7
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

I like it as is.....if I happen to catch a new post in a thread that I am watching or participating in it takes to where I left off. Why in the world would I want to be taken to the first post when clicking the link?? If You want to go to the first post just click the link and go to the first post/page from there.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:08 AM   #8
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

It works as intended here; if you don't like the way it works, you can turn off that feature and use an alt. method of cruising the site? Plenty of other options.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Satrow, just trying to figure out how it woorks because like I said, sometimes it brings me to an inline post despite having never visited the thread, contrary to what SABL said he experiences.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I noticed this after you mentioned it not all the time, guess we have another mystery bug

Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

I just checked a half dozen threads I've never been to and each time I was taken to post #1. Like I said.....I don't want to be taken to post #1 each time I check the recent discussions. I want to be taken to where I left off.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
Like I said.....I don't want to be taken to post #1 each time I check the recent discussions. I want to be taken to where I left off.
Fair enough. And like I said, I don't want to be taken to an in-line post midway through a thread if it's my first visit. If there were a means to prove to you that this is really occurring on my end, believe me, I'd do it.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I don't think we are doubting you at all, we all seem to be experiencing some anomaly

Old 02-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

I have it turned off. when I am on tsf, I just click on view posts - new posts, click on the arrow beside the posters name and go to that specific post. It works almost the same as recent discussions.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Thanks sobeit, I'll try that.
Closed Thread