Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Windows drive "cannot be modified"

This is a discussion on Windows drive "cannot be modified" within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Trying to transfer a file from my MAC OS X (ver. 10.4.11) to a windows drive. When I drag and

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Trying to transfer a file from my MAC OS X (ver. 10.4.11) to a windows drive. When I drag and drop it says something about the item not being able to be moved because the new volume cannot be modified. Under properties the drive is read only. Is this a Windows NTFS security or something? How do I modify this drive so that I can make the transfer. I need to move a 39 GB movie file from my MAC to my Windows PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Is the Windows drive an internal drive on the Mac? Or a USB HDD? Or on a separate Windows PC machine? What version of Windows? Is the Windows drive formatted FAT32 or NTFS?
If the drive is on a separate Windows PC, move the file to an NTFS formatted USB Flash Drive then attach it to the Windows PC and drag and drop or copy and paste it to the Windows drive.
Copying and Moving: Problems Copying and Moving Files | Problems with OS X Files: Open, Copy, Delete, and Beyond | Peachpit
Old 07-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

see if you can use the windows box to perform the drag/drop operation. I've had to do that in a few cases. Could use 10 to drag files from an XP machine, because the Xp box wouldn't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

Macs cannot "Write" to NTFS drives Natively. They can only "Read" from them.

You would have to either install software on your Mac to support Writing to NTFS or first transfer the file to a drive formatted ExFAT (for a 39GB file) and then transfer it over on a Windows computer to the NTFS drive.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Is the Windows drive an internal drive on the Mac? Or a USB HDD? Or on a separate Windows PC machine? What version of Windows? Is the Windows drive formatted FAT32 or NTFS?
If the drive is on a separate Windows PC, move the file to an NTFS formatted USB Flash Drive then attach it to the Windows PC and drag and drop or copy and paste it to the Windows drive.
Copying and Moving: Problems Copying and Moving Files | Problems with OS X Files: Open, Copy, Delete, and Beyond | Peachpit
External drive in NTFS file system. Using SATA to USB adapter. I know that FAT 32 does not accept large files like my 39 GB file.
Windows 10.
I'm wondering if I can format a drive in a MAC file system that Windows will recognize?
I found this tutorial. Not sure if if will work with my older MAC. With an Ethernet cable it would sure go faster (than USB) if successful.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

If you format a drive to ExFAT it can be used by both Windows and Mac.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyF81 View Post
If you format a drive to ExFAT it can be used by both Windows and Mac.
Cool! 'bout time Microsoft addressed this.
Closed Thread