Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Why is synch all-or-nothing?

This is a discussion on Why is synch all-or-nothing? within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Why is it that synchronizing bookmarks is all-or-nothing? All sites do not work equally well with all browsers or all

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Why is it that synchronizing bookmarks is all-or-nothing? All sites do not work equally well with all browsers or all devices. Bookmarklets certainly do not work equally well with different browsers with different rendering engines. It would be much more useful if one could specify exactly what to synch and what not to synch, but that is not possible. Would it be all that hard to make synch more flexible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

I don't think it would be terribly difficult programatically.... but it would be terribly confusing for most users. I don't think most people would want to select by bookmark if should sync between devices or not.

I consider myself a power user... and I certainly wouldn't want to mess with that. Apple tends to lean towards what will be the least confusing for most users.

I am not sure what the concern is to be honest. Most modern sites are coded to work on different browsers... and if you go to a site with an unsupported browser... it will tell you. I would rather see the link in my bookmarks and click on it to discover it doesn't work... than have the link missing from my bookmarks and wonder where it went?

Especially since a site that didn't work with a particular browser today... could very well be updated to support it tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

I fail to see what would be confusing. One would simply select what to synchronize and not the rest. What about folder by folder rather than bookmark by bookmark? That would be fine with me. Synchronizing between different devices can be a problem. An iPod does not have plugins, so any page that requires a plugin is no good on an iPod. Also some pages do not work very well on small screens. Bookmarklets do not all work equally well with all browsers, so I have different sets for different browsers, and I do not want those mixed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 05:17 AM   #4
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

I just don't think many people would use such a thing. I think almost everyone sorts their bookmarks by "Genre" and isn't thinking about what plugins the site uses, or if it is mobile friendly...

The purpose of "Syncing" is to keep every thing in "Sync" meaning both locations show the same. I am not aware of any browser that selectively syncs.

Maybe you could organize your bookmarks into folders "Not for Mobile" etc... and just ignore the ones that don't apply to the device you are using?

In any case, the OS doesn't have this feature. If you feel strongly about it, you can make a suggestion to Apple by using their feedback tool: Apple - Feedback
Old 10-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have done as you suggested (made the suggestion), but I do not have high hopes for results.
Closed Thread