Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Updating/Upgrading from Yosemite

This is a discussion on Updating/Upgrading from Yosemite within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am running a mid 2012 Macbook Pro. In the past, I have attempted to go to High Sierra (as

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

I am running a mid 2012 Macbook Pro. In the past, I have attempted to go to High Sierra (as that is what Apple suggested I do), but each time has resulted in frequent spinning beach balls after installation. The most recent time I attempted, I went in and cleaned out temp files, etc. It was better than previously, but it wasn't smooth at all so I just reverted back via Time Machine.

Nowwwwww, I am getting frequent spinning beach balls. I thought maybe it was a memory issue but when I brought up a memory program that shows current amount being used, it averaged about a gb remaining. Sometimes, the system just freezes leaving me with a moving cursor but nothing to click on, etc.....usually then have to do a hard shuttdown.

I've run antivirus programs and it's clean. Spyware: clean. Disk Check: it's good to go. I've done PRAM, I've done OnyX (only things I knew what they were).

I now want to go up to the next OS. Am I able to go to El Capitan or do I have to go just straight to the current OS? I am just wondering if maybe I need a clean install or maybe some of my things are not so compatible anymore as they update and the OS doesn't?

If do a clean install, how do I get my pictures, music, etc from Time Machine? Wouldn't that put all the problem stuff back on my machine? And would it make a difference that Time Machine was done with Yosemite?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 02:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

Try to save all the data in the backup. To completely restore the system to a Mac computer, use the "Restore from a Time Machine backup" utility in the macOS recovery section. Before receiving macOS and other contents of the Time Machine backup, the data from the restored disk is deleted. To copy only your files, settings, and user accounts, use the Migration Assistant.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search