Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Updating GFX Card

This is a discussion on Updating GFX Card within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Afternoon, Couple of questions .. 1) How do I know/check if my GFX card needs updating 2) Where's the appropriate

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
mfmcgreal

My System

Afternoon,

Couple of questions ..

1) How do I know/check if my GFX card needs updating
2) Where's the appropriate place to download the update (I assume the brands website?)

I only ask since I have a '27 inch late 2013 iMac, and I've never actually updated the GFX card software before .. The GFX card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB video memory .. I appreciate the 'don't fix what isn't broken' approach, but I've had the odd bug over the past few months which hints an update may be needed - bugs of which I've flagged up here, and been concluded as not hardware nor anything serious .. Sure I had a pop-up from a program the other week too stating the graphics card needs updating - can't remember which program though ..

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

the nVidia application probably sent you an update notice.
You can manually download the update here: NVIDIA DRIVERS Quadro & GeForce Mac OS X Driver Release 346.03.02
Old 12-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired

OS: Mac OS X 10.8.5, MS Win 7 Pro & Ultimate, iOS 9.3.5

My System

Send a message via AIM to sinclair_tm Send a message via MSN to sinclair_tm

MacOS video driver updates are part of the OS updates. As long as you keep the OS up to date, then the video driver will be up to date. Unless you are facing some video issue, it's actually best not to install drivers from the chip makers on your Mac when running MacOS.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not booting after gfx card installation
I just installed the evga gt 750ti. When i switch on the pc it doesnt get past the "press del to enter bios" screen. It just remains there and makes low beeping sounds every now and again. It doesnt let me enter bios. All fans spin up, including the gfx card fan. I then put in my old gfx card again...
deadsite22 Video Card Support 5 03-28-2014 03:36 PM
[SOLVED] GFX card not powering up
Hello, I ran into some problems with my gfx card, GeForce GTX 260. Basically lost signal, booted and some gray stuff was shown on boot screens. In windows the card was no longer detectable in device manager (error 43). I figured its a gfx card issue so I tried with a very old Radeon X300(?),...
Jacel Video Card Support 9 02-03-2013 01:11 PM
Secondary Monitor: connect to gfx card or motherboard?
Hello, I recently built a computer following the recommended builds thread on this forum & was wandering what cable to use for the second monitor. It's a ancient tv which has a vga and dvi-i slot at the back (non-hdtv) I was going to simply purchase a hdtv to dvi-i cable but thought if I...
JnXC Other Hardware Support 1 02-02-2013 06:28 AM
$100 Budget and I need a new GFX card and power supply
I will be buying from Newegg.com and I am on a budget of about $100. I am no computer geek so I need a simple suggestion on a gfx card and power supply that equal $100 or so in total. I want to be able to play new game at 60 frames on low settings at least. Here are my specs. My computer is a...
Rafnel Video Card Support 5 08-23-2011 07:02 AM
Help Updating Video Card Driver
Just installed DivX software to be able to look at movies and convert them to a DVD. Was advised by their Support Team that my problem with converting movies from my lapop to a DVD was because my Video Card Driver is from 2005. I have an Acer Aspire 9500 laptop. Can you please advise how I...
phazezero Video Card Support 1 06-30-2011 10:12 AM