Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Suddenly very slow WD My Passport external drive

This is a discussion on Suddenly very slow WD My Passport external drive within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I used without any issues for the past 3 years a 2 TB WD My Passport drive for TimeMachine. I

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

I used without any issues for the past 3 years a 2 TB WD My Passport drive for TimeMachine. I decided to replace it with a larger, Seagate one. I formatted the WD drive on the Mac as Ex-Fat to use the drive to share files copied from the Mac with a PC. It appears that only this format allows file sharing (other than Fat32 whig is known to cause problems). Backing up (for the first time after formatting) 60 GB takes about 15 hours. The drive is connected to a USB port on the Mac. I am using the same port to backup the same 60 GB to a Seagate drive and it takes 20 min. I changed the cable but it didn't help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I do not believe this is "normal" and I have no idea what to do, other than just throw out the drive. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 02:54 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Disk Utilities and do a Disk Repair: https://www.computerworld.com/articl...pair-disk.html

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extremely slow music file transfer from my laptop to external hard drive
Hi, I'm trying to transfer my itunes library to an external hard drive but the transfer speed is so unbelieveably slow that I'm almost certain there is something not right. My external hard drive is 300GB and I believe is USB2. The dialog box is up showing that the copying is in progress (2,950...
mitchmac83 Hard Drive Support 4 01-28-2013 01:45 PM
External hard drive nackered
Hi all, I am a novice when it comes to computers and i'm affraid i am in desperate need of some help. My problem relates to a WD Elements 1023 500g external hard drive. I have recently checked and backed up all my files etc to this hard drive from my desk top. I have then had my desktop...
Coptimas Removable Media Drives 4 12-18-2011 06:40 AM
WD Passport External Drive not working
Last night my friend was transferring files from his computer(which runs linux) to my external HD, when my HD suddenly stopped working or showing up on his computer. I took it home and plugged it in to my computer (Windows 7 Ultimate), and now I consistently receive the following error message...
Charlie Justice Hard Drive Support 7 10-25-2011 05:30 PM
WD my passport external hard drive problems.
I have a western digital my passport external hard drive. Just recently it started to disappear from my computer under the listed drives. When I restart my computer it starts working again for a short period of time, then disappears again. If I plug it into another computer it works on that...
ikarihiokami Hard Drive Support 3 02-17-2011 10:04 AM