Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Stuck in lower resolution?

This is a discussion on Stuck in lower resolution? within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Macbook Pro 2011 running Yosemite I was watching some sports online yesterday and a couple pop-ups kept appearing. Whenever I

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Macbook Pro 2011 running Yosemite
I was watching some sports online yesterday and a couple pop-ups kept appearing. Whenever I clicked the x to close the popup the resolution of the entire screen decreased. At least I think this is what happened - everything grew in size but definitely wasn't zoomed. I checked system prefs resolution and it's on the maximum but everything is definitely larger (icons, text, etc.). Any suggestions to get this back to the 'normal' size?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Press Command + J or pull down the View Menu use the slider underneath Icon Size and move it to the left to decrease the size: Increase the Size of Mac OS X Desktop Icons | OSXDaily
Old 10-11-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey, thanks for the response I guess I should be more clear - EVERYTHING is bigger, from icons to web text etc. etc. It seems like a resolution issues. I actually factory reset it and nothing changed. It's definitely system wide too, creating new account did nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

(I mean formatted HDD , my mind is used to working with android lol)
Old 10-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Change the Resolution, save it and restart, then reset the resolution to the Default setting
Old 10-12-2015, 05:24 AM   #6
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjj17 View Post
(I mean formatted HDD , my mind is used to working with android lol)
You are saying you completely erased the HDD and installed the OS from scratch and this issue persists?

That to me sounds like a hardware failure. Like your video card is maybe failing and can't produce the horsepower to drive the higher resolutions.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #7
Registered Member

spunk.funk thanks for response, tried that and no luck :(
Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #8
Registered Member

Marty, yeah completely erased it/formatted it. Still the same. I'm thinking hardware too, may just take it in I don't really have time to do hardware troubleshootign
Closed Thread