Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Strange files suddenly appearing on my desktop

This is a discussion on Strange files suddenly appearing on my desktop within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, After what seemed like a mild virus attack - a reputed e-commerce site showed a pop-up spamming me

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

After what seemed like a mild virus attack - a reputed e-commerce site showed a pop-up spamming me with ads etc. and my hotmail and yahoomail accounts (I use mostly on my Samsung) had been compromised - I had installed Sophos a couple of weeks ago. My computer (Retina, early 2015 MBP, 13in) is running fine, but I see some strange activity again.

I am uploading this screenshot of these files that have suddenly come up from somewhere. e.g. the first one is named -

BHpWRh9SPys&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999

dxK52-jPeO8&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999

l0HWWGmU9R4&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999

pDYyiKhnZVw&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999

rRMdpfJVu4c&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999

I normally restart my laptop only once a week or so, and I this had come up soon after I restarted it. Also, I had just put in my ext HDD so perhaps this has something to do with that. I had also just plugged in the camera card into the reader which I took out right away. The Sophos scan does not show any threats.

Should I just delete these files and forget about it?

I have never used antivirus for Mac but at this point I just feel the need for one. I selected Sophos reading website recos, but it would be nice if members suggested which ones work best on the Mac (and are free of charge).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 11.00.03 AM.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	269289  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #2
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

I would use this tool to scan for malware: https://www.malwarebytes.org/mac-download/

I have not seen files like that... but I wouldnt' think any Malware or Virus would drop files on your desktop. Their objective is to go un-noticed and putting files on the desktop does not help them stay hidden in the shadows.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks I'll also try this one out.

Meanwhile, I also checked for disk permissions and was rather surprised to get the following results (see attachment).

Something I should worry about? Or should I just repair the disk?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 11.46.15 AM.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	269297  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

It is pretty normal to see Permissions that aren't what they should be, I am surprised the list is that small to be honest. They get put out of line by programs poorly coded etc...

You can go ahead and repair them.