Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

SLOW boot after ssd upgrade

This is a discussion on SLOW boot after ssd upgrade within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Guys, I decided to be nice to my girlfriend and upgrade her 2013 macbook pro.. running 10.9.2 (this is

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Guys, I decided to be nice to my girlfriend and upgrade her 2013 macbook pro.. running 10.9.2

(this is the first mac that i have ever touched.. windows and linux user)

I upgraded it with
8gb Samsung ram
500gb Samsung 850 pro ssd (old hdd was 500gb also)

Both, I thought were supported.. after researching

used the restore in disk utility on her mac and just swapped the hdd with the ssd i named it Macintosh SSD instead of Macintosh HD
for the first week it booted in seconds and ran much much faster for her

But then it started booting stupidly slow.. upto 5 minutes on the grey screen and apple logo (once booted up it is very fast.. the running speed isnt effected)

I have repaired disk permissions in disk utility (this brought the time down slightly)
and startup disk is selected to boot from the ssd (the only drive) however this does sometimes default back to being not selected

i have tried to boot up and hold the option key. even after manually clicking the Macintosh ssd it still takes forever to boot

any idea what we should try next? ??

I have just noticed that the Disk identifier is "disk0s2" if this means anything ?

im lost !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #2
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

I would start by putting the OLD RAM back in and see if the problem goes away.

If not... is that a SATA 3 drive? if it is.... you may want to look into replacing or shielding the SATA cable. Those generations of Mac's had SATA 3 capable Motherboards... but were shipped with SATA2 HDD and cables. This caused problems when replaced with SATA3 drives getting interference across the cable and drive connector which meant to handle those transfer rates.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

go to my System Prefences > Startup Disk and Select my SSD and restarted it. now it will boots faster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016, 02:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

thanks for the replies guys
I tried everything for weeks

then one day, randomly it started working correctly
Closed Thread