Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should I get the new Air or keep my old MBP?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
(1) I have a 13in MacBook Pro (Retina, early 2015) that has served me well. However, unlike my previous Macs there have always been failures: the charger and display (the well-known problems of the coatings going bad) were replaced. And the speakers (crackling and mostly useless) and battery (down to 80% of capacity) soon after the end of the extended warranty.

I have no problems with the battery capacity going down because it has been used - and served me - well. However, what I did not realise was the sheer cost of replacing it. Apparently, they will need to replace the keyboard and trackpad along with the battery! All the result of slimming down and miniaturisation, I am told.

The cost? Approx. $400 (250+150). But now I am wondering - there is no guarantee of any more failures after I put in $400.

(2) Enter the new MacBook Air launched today. I should be able to get $500 for my MBP and that way I only need to put in $650 (education pricing is $1150) for the new MBA. Do you think it’s better to get the new Air rather than upgrade the speakers and battery on my old MBP?

I am in particular uncertain about the new keyboard whose problems are well-known by now. Is there anything to indicate the new MBA has finally ironed them out?

Do you think this Retina display will be better than the earlier generations and will not beed to be replaced a couple of years down the line (given adequate care, of course)?

Should I reasonably expect to be in a similar situation (as with my MBP) with this new Air 3.5 years down the line? The battery will have gone and replacing it have become even more costly than now. Not to mention other problems cropping up because of the slimming down etc.

(3) Should I just get the old Air that is a student friendly $850? I should be okay with that screen since I have a 8 year old ViewSonic monitor that I hook it up to.
But subsequent Mac OS upgrades after Mojave work well with the older hardware of this Air?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no problems with the battery....they will need to replace the keyboard and trackpad along with the battery! All the result of slimming down and miniaturisation, I am told.
I don't know who told you this but it is not true. Attached is a video showing you how to replace the battery. You can purchase a battery online at Ebay.
If money isn't an issue, then get a new MBP. but this one can be fixed, and still be usable for some time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.