Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Retina better than old Air at displaying text on an old 1080p external monitor?

This is a discussion on Retina better than old Air at displaying text on an old 1080p external monitor? within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. (1) I just noticed these interesting benchmarks results. I am guessing there is little chance that they’ll be drastically revised

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

(1) I just noticed these interesting benchmarks results. I am guessing there is little chance that they’ll be drastically revised in the coming days.

Single core performance
2018 MacBook Air - 4248
2017 MacBook Air - 3335

Multi-core performance
2018 MacBook Air - 7828
2017 MacBook Air - 6119

But aren’t these negligible differences? If my maximum demand from is basic post-processing of photos (say Lightroom or Darktable), then one should expect minor improvements in processing between the new and older Air. Am I correct?

So, the lower quality screen of the older MacBook Air is the only factor working against it when compared to the Retina Air?

(2) I do a lot of writing work on my old ViewSonic external monitor that is 1920*1080.

Currently, I project my early 2015 13” MBP’s display to this monitor and the text looks smooth. Obviously, it’ll look similarly smooth with the new Retina Air.

But should I expect any deteriorations in the text smoothness etc. if I hook my external monitor to the old MacBook Air? Will the old Air be able to make full use of my basic 1080p external monitor?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

From the MacBook Air 13-inch, 2017's product page here, its Intel HD Graphics 6000 igpu supports dual displays up to 2160p or 4K if you like, which is twice the line height of 1080p, so YES, it should be able to fully utilise your 1080p monitor.

No, the display is not the only edge that the new MacBook Air 2018 Retina has over the 2017 MacBook Air or any other older model for that matter. The processor, GPU, RAM and other specs have been upgraded as well. Here's a detailed comparison. If I were to choose between the two, it'd be worth the extra $$ for the 2018 Air, unless you don't wanna cross the $1000 mark.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
From the MacBook Air 13-inch, 2017's product page here, its Intel HD Graphics 6000 igpu supports dual displays up to 2160p or 4K if you like, which is twice the line height of 1080p, so YES, it should be able to fully utilise your 1080p monitor.
Great. So, there should be no difference in what I see on the old 1080p external monitor whether I project from an old Air, or say a Retina MacBook Pro or the new Air?
No, the display is not the only edge that the new MacBook Air 2018 Retina has over the 2017 MacBook Air or any other older model for that matter. The processor, GPU, RAM and other specs have been upgraded as well. Here's a detailed comparison. If I were to choose between the two, it'd be worth the extra $$ for the 2018 Air, unless you don't wanna cross the $1000 mark.
I see. Yeah, let me mull over this as we wait for reviews of the new Air...
Closed Thread