Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Old Imac G3 Snow Won't boot

This is a discussion on Old Imac G3 Snow Won't boot within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have this old Imac G3 Snow that when I first got it, it booted, now it stays on the

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have this old Imac G3 Snow that when I first got it, it booted, now it stays on the gray Apple with the spinning circle, I think the hard drives bad, but when I run the "Fsck" command in single user mode, it says it appears to be ok, and the cd drive is bad and I don't have a external one so I can't boot from a cd. Anything I could do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you have access to another Mac, you can create a bootable USB Flash Drive with your OSX CD/DVD https://business.tutsplus.com/tutori...ard--cms-21491
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

This is the first Mac I have ever had, so I don't have any others, and I am pretty sure I can't boot it from Usb anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You certainly can boot from USB, Apple was one of the first supporters of this technology.
What is the OSX version you have on your computer?
Later versions of OSX allow you to start the computer and hold down the Command (Apple) and R keys. To boot into OSX Recovery.If you have a WiFi internet connection, you can restore over the internet.
Other then that, you can get a USB CD/DVD RW drive, or if you a Mac OSX .dmg on USB you can boot from it.
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...overy-3593641/
Old 12-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

Just found out about Verbose Mode, after a while it says "touch: /var/run/installer: read-only file system" followed by "logger unknown facility name: install." being shown 2 times, and that repeats.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:22 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try these suggestions
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201573

https://www.lifewire.com/top-trouble...oblems-2259907