Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

MS Office updater wants Office programs closed

This is a discussion on MS Office updater wants Office programs closed within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. We have a new El Capitan iMac, with Office 2016. When the autoupdate feature has updates, it downloads them and

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

We have a new El Capitan iMac, with Office 2016. When the autoupdate feature has updates, it downloads them and then tells us to close each of the Office programs as it tries to install them. I don't see any of the programs open, so I don't know how to close them. Any help appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

Right click on the Icons on your Dock, and select "Quit"

Or you can click the Apple, and go to "Force Quit" and select the applications that are open.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Any programs in the Dock with a small arrow below the icon are still "opened" do as Marty suggested and Quit each program before updating.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Any programs in the Dock with a small arrow below the icon are still "opened" do as Marty suggested and Quit each program before updating.
Thanks to you and Marty! That worked. I had to force quit each program, re-download the updates, and then installation worked. To get the MS office icons to appear in the Dock again, I had to go to applications and click on each one of them, and those icons showed up in the dock. All's well that ends well! Solved!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:26 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If the icon in the Dock has an arrow below it, it is still open. If you want to create Shortcuts to the Office programs, drag each icon from the Applications folder to the Dock. It will permanently create a shortcut icon without opening the program.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
If the icon in the Dock has an arrow below it, it is still open. If you want to create Shortcuts to the Office programs, drag each icon from the Applications folder to the Dock. It will permanently create a shortcut icon without opening the program.
Interesting. I was wondering if I would have to go through the force quit, etc. each time an autoupdate came through. Thanks a lot.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes you would have to Force Quit if the programs have an arrow on the dock and are still open. Plus, when a program is still open, it is using your computers resources in the background even though you are not using the program.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes you would have to Force Quit if the programs have an arrow on the dock and are still open. Plus, when a program is still open, it is using your computers resources in the background even though you are not using the program.
OK, I pulled shortcuts of excel and word onto the desktop. Should I force quit the icons in the dock and forget about them, just using the shortcuts when I need them?
Old 04-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Yes, force quit any applications that have arrows under them. If your desktop gets crowded, you can drag the icons to the Dock as well or instead.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, force quit any applications that have arrows under them. If your desktop gets crowded, you can drag the icons to the Dock as well or instead.
Hi, Sorry for the delay in replying. I now have excel and word as icons on the desktop. I could not drag them into the dock. But they will work. I force quit the usual icons of word, excel, etc. from the dock. Oddly when I do that a get a popup re: error reporting which I also force quit to get rid of it. I suppose it has to do with just plain old quitting the program and MS wants to report it as an anomaly. Oh, well.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You shouldn't have to Force Quit any application unless it is hanging up. Just Right click or hold CTRL+Click and and choose Quit.
Dragging icons to Desktop is great, I was just letting you know that if you want them in the Dock instead of or in addition to the Desktop, you can drag them there as well, but whatever makes you happy.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
You shouldn't have to Force Quit any application unless it is hanging up. Just Right click or hold CTRL+Click and and choose Quit.
Dragging icons to Desktop is great, I was just letting you know that if you want them in the Dock instead of or in addition to the Desktop, you can drag them there as well, but whatever makes you happy.
Yep, Control and click works-thanks. Pardon the pun, but a little control for the operator feels good!

Thanks again for all your help!
Closed Thread