Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Mounting hard drive problem

This is a discussion on Mounting hard drive problem within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Recently got a Mac and I've had to reformat all my hard drives from NTFS. After trying one I

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

Recently got a Mac and I've had to reformat all my hard drives from NTFS. After trying one I got an error message saying 'Mediakit reports not enough space'. So i went onto my old windows laptop and managed to reformat it to exFAT, but after doing that it now doesn't mount on my Mac and is also not recognized on my windows laptop anymore....

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

With your drive attached to the Mac, Go to Utilities/Disk Utility/First Aid. Your drive should show on the Left. If running El Capitan run First Aid on the drive. You then can go to the Partition tab and create a partition, If only using it on a Mac format it HFS+ (journaled) if using it on a Mac and a PC format it FAT (MS DOS)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

If you are only going to be using them on Mac, I would do as Spunk suggests and format to HFS+...

If want to use the drives between Mac AND Windows I would suggest using Disk Utility on the Mac to format it to EXFAT and set the "Scheme" to MBR (Master Boot Record).

That should make the disk universal for both systems and mount to both systems, etc... if that does NOT work... you may have a problem with your drive.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External HD with irreplaceable urgent data shows files/folders but all are now empty
First of all, I have a desktop PC running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit. Second of all, I apologize for the length of this post but I wanted to include all relevant information and history of the drive in case some piece of that info happened to be key in solving this issue. Now for...
Urgent Recovery Hard Drive Support 6 08-07-2014 12:54 PM
EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE NOT MOUNTING - URGENT HELP REQUIRED
Dear All, I bought a Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II less than six months ago for my Mac. I have been using it as a back-up drive where I stored most of my files. From time to time, the drive was not mounting, but after changing cables, reset the computer, etc. the drive connected...
pepoman Mac Support 37 06-20-2012 05:49 AM
Is it the hard drive problem?
Hello I work in a company as an administrator.one of the personnels system's started to crash a few weeks ago. after that it was making some strange sort of clicking noise,and windows didn't boot up.i suspected the hard drive.after examing it,i changed the hard drive SATA cable.after that...
aaforum Hard Drive Support 1 06-25-2011 02:45 AM
Dell Latitude D620 - read failure on internal hard drive
I am a computer tech and I have a client that has a Dell Latitude D620 running XP Professional. Problem is that when you turn it on it gets to a black screen that says "read failure on internal hard drive". Obviously from the message it seems like a bad hard drive. I have ran the 1st part...
tcsllc Laptop Support 7 01-17-2011 01:19 PM