Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Mid-2011 iMac won't shut down

This is a discussion on Mid-2011 iMac won't shut down within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! Glad (bittersweet) to be back, but been struggling with this issue for awhile now on my Mac. Whenever I

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hello! Glad (bittersweet) to be back, but been struggling with this issue for awhile now on my Mac.

Whenever I shut down the Mac properly (Apple dropdown > Shut down > Shut down), it begins the shut down process (I have closed all running applications), then hangs up on the desktop with just the dock showing (no desktop icons show or the top-menu). I then have to do a hard shut down with the power button.

The dock is somewhat active in that I can scroll over it and the icons do their thing, but now after updating to Yosemite I have to physically hold down the power button until it does a hard shut down. Before I updated to Yosemite, the same issue would occur, but when I held the button, I would be given the option to shut down again and it would work....that does not happen now that I am on Yosemite.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 02:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

Try to upgrade your system version, This problem may due to the bugs of the system you currently using,
Old 10-15-2015, 03:13 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to toolbar to Go/Utilities/Disk Utilities highlight the Mac HDD on the left panel and Verify Permissions, and Repair Permission, also Repair Disk
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks all! I ended up upgrading the system to El Capitan to see if that would finally fix things...actually ended up messing up all kinds of other things! Also the issues persisted..

I had to completely downgrade to Lion, then make my way back up to Yosemite after a complete format of the HDD.

This has fixed the issue...took a lot...but it did it. If I encounter the issue again, I will first try the potential fix Spunk recommended. But reformatting definitely worked and I know not to trust El Capitan now!
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search