Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Macbook Pro Mid 2008 Not Powering Up

This is a discussion on Macbook Pro Mid 2008 Not Powering Up within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi; My trusty old Macbook Pro Mid 2008 is no longer powering up by pressing the power button. After searching

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi;

My trusty old Macbook Pro Mid 2008 is no longer powering up by pressing the power button.
After searching I found a temp fix to remove the MagSafe and Battery, press the power button for 20 seconds, with the power button still pressed replace the MagSafe and count another 20 secs then let go of the power button for 20 seconds and then press the power button as normal.

When I do the above the fans spin up and the Mackook starts however the fans run continuously at full speed and this is not a fix it is just a way of starting the machine.

Is there a permanent fix for this?

I hear it might be caused by an underpowered MagSafe? I think I am actually using an old White Macbook MagSafe? If I replace the MagSafe for a new one will my issue be resolved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you look on the power adapter, in small writing, by the prongs, it will tell you the power outage. The 2008 requires a 85Watt power adapter. If you are using 60Watt or less, it will not power up your Macbook. Turn your Macbook over. Press the button on the battery, green lights will show you the strength of the battery. If there are no lights, the battery needs to be charged with a proper power adapter.
If you are using the proper Power Adapter, try resetting the PRAM https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6552

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BSOD a few minutes after startup
Hello forum: For a while now (almost 3 weeks) I've constantly been experiencing a BSOD only a few minutes after startup. The BSOD is of type 7F with first argument 0x00000008. One thing I've noticed is that the computer only crashes if the network is enabled. If I disable the wireless assistant,...
rohanb BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 1 06-17-2012 03:23 PM
BSOD
Hi all! Having an issue and could use some help :smile: Currently posting from safe mode with networking, unable to boot otherwise. The error code I'm getting is an IRQL Not Less or Equal. I have the .zip file, but I couldn't seem to use the perfmon /report without getting I was able to...
robsr BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 3 04-01-2012 07:40 AM
multiple random BSOD on vista
I believe my computer got a virus. I knowingly downloaded a program and in a hurry to install, neglected to scan prior to installing. Since then, the computer has given constant BSOD of various types. Attempted many system restore from burned disks as well as purchasing disks from manufacturer...
csayre1 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 12 12-04-2011 04:35 AM
IE Redirect Virus?
I'm currently recoverying from what I think was the Windows Recovery virus, but I'm still having issues. Random audio plays through what I'm assuming is internet explorer, but there are no windows open. I'm often redirected to pages, and sometimes without clicking links new windows open. I've also...
jordankk Resolved HJT Threads 42 11-29-2011 03:53 AM
[SOLVED] PC shut's down daily. Locale ID: 2057
Hey there. A while back a friend said he's gonna add a new graphic's card, which he dident after all, but he put my old one back in. Since then my pc has been getting random shut down's every so often, say's a blue screen but it's not Screen says "No signal" 5 - 10 secs after it shuts down....
Lolwhowtf BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 35 10-04-2011 08:04 AM