Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Macbook black screen

This is a discussion on Macbook black screen within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Macbook A1181, it boots up, shows Apple logo trying to boot up, can hear drive trying to

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Macbook A1181, it boots up, shows Apple logo trying to boot up, can hear drive trying to boot, then the screen turns black. Only once for a brief second was able to see desktop before turning black. Battery works.

Any idea what could be wrong ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2015, 06:18 AM   #2
Registered Member

Update : Was able to get OS menu bar with rainbow circle for a couple of seconds than turned black
Old 10-31-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Is there any way to get diagnostics for A1181, 2007 Macbook ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

hook the Macbook up to an external monitor.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
hook the Macbook up to an external monitor.
I hooked up to an external monitor and with vga and it works on the external monitor.

Does that mean the screen on the macbook needs to be replaced or just the inverter ?
Old 11-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Registered Member

Or is it just a question of replacing the Display Data Cable
Old 11-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Hold down power key till computer shuts off, disconnect power adapter and remove battery. Push power button for a few seconds to release all power.
Attach battery and power adapter, press and hold Shift key and restart Macbook. This should start the computer in Safe Mode. Is screen visible? If so, restart in Normal mode.
If that doesn’t work for you, you could try these steps,
Holding down Command, Option, P, and R to reset your PRAM and NVRAM
Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)
If this still fails,
It could be the display cable or the LCD screen. Shine a flash light through the Apple logo on the lid when the computer is on, if you can see a faint image on the screen it is the invertor.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Hold down power key till computer shuts off, disconnect power adapter and remove battery. Push power button for a few seconds to release all power.
Attach battery and power adapter, press and hold Shift key and restart Macbook. This should start the computer in Safe Mode. Is screen visible? If so, restart in Normal mode.
If that doesn’t work for you, you could try these steps,
Holding down Command, Option, P, and R to reset your PRAM and NVRAM
Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)
If this still fails,
It could be the display cable or the LCD screen. Shine a flash light through the Apple logo on the lid when the computer is on, if you can see a faint image on the screen it is the invertor.

Looks like the data cable but I'm having a hard time finding it
Old 11-04-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You should be able to find it on Ebay. macbook A1181 video cable | eBay
This is not an easy fix, if your uncomfortable with taking your laptop apart, find a local computer repair man, it doesn't have to be a Genius.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:44 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
You should be able to find it on Ebay. macbook A1181 video cable | eBay
This is not an easy fix, if your uncomfortable with taking your laptop apart, find a local computer repair man, it doesn't have to be a Genius.

Changed the video cable but didn't fix the problem, not sure what the problem is, can see Apple logo, screen works for a few seconds. Could it be some problem with the motherboard ? mouse pad right and left click don't work
Old 11-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
Registered Member

Played around with display in system preferences and after 5 minutes the screen come on. the desktop with menu appears on the laptop and the external monitor only shows desktop background as an extended desktop. Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
Registered Member

Not sure what's going on with this Macbook, I thought the problem was fixed and all of a sudden the screen turned black again and external monitor show desktop with menu. Never saw anytime like this with Windows. Don't know why people by Apple. Repairing this crap for someone else.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:16 PM   #13
Registered Member

Is there a way to know which version of the graphic card is installed ? Did About Mac, more info, display graphics but there's no version number. Windows a lot better then Mac, never saw a problem like this in Windows, no idea how to fix this problem. One minute it works next stops working.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
external monitor show desktop with menu
Go to the Apple logo in the upper left, choose System Preferences/Display. Here you should be able to choose Single Display, Mirrored display, or Extended desktop.
In About this Mac under Graphic Display, it should list the video display adapter number. If not, you can look up the specs by the Serial # in the small writing on the back of the Macbook: Lookup Mac Specs By Serial Number, Order, Model & EMC Number, Model ID @ EveryMac.com
Old 11-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Go to the Apple logo in the upper left, choose System Preferences/Display. Here you should be able to choose Single Display, Mirrored display, or Extended desktop.
System Preferences/Display The only thing it shows right now is the external monitor, mirror is off. Somehow, not sure how I managed to turn mirror on and the screen on the macbook turned on. This is like plug and pray.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If the internal LCD screen is not showing under display, then it is the video cable, inverter, or screen, but not the video chip. It might have turned on by luck, but it is not a setting you can change in the OS.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
If the internal LCD screen is not showing under display, then it is the video cable, inverter, or screen, but not the video chip. It might have turned on by luck, but it is not a setting you can change in the OS.
Already changed the video cable. When the internal LCD screen turned on it stayed on for a few hours, I disconnected the external screen rebooted and still worked. Cannot be the inverter or screen

It's definitely software related but don't know how to get it back. Or it's just crappy OS
Old 11-15-2015, 04:36 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

OK, what OS do you have installed? If you have OS X 10.6.8 and have 2GB or RAM, you can update to Lion OSX 10.7 OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple
Old 11-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
OK, what OS do you have installed? If you have OS X 10.6.8 and have 2GB or RAM, you can update to Lion OSX 10.7 OS X Lion (10.7) - Apple
OS X 10.8.4, don't know if this is a OS problem but it tell me to replace battery but battery is 100% charged and works fine. There's a 10.8.5 update available but don't know if it will solve these problems
Old 11-15-2015, 05:05 PM   #20
Registered Member

Could it be that this OS is not compatible with this Macbook ? I contacted Nvidia and they told me that there is no Nvidia driver for this model in OS X 10.8.4 only in OS X 10.6.8
Closed Thread