Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Mac won't boot, can I recover files?

This is a discussion on Mac won't boot, can I recover files? within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My MAC will only boot into repair mode. If I remove my mac hard drive, connect to an enclosure and

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 05:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

My MAC will only boot into repair mode.
If I remove my mac hard drive, connect to an enclosure and connect through USB to another MAC could I potential save some files before reinstalling OSX?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

As long as the drive was not Encrypted, then Generally the answer is yes. Though I fear that because the only mode it will boot into is Repair Mode... then you may have a problem with the drive itself.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

I read up on target disk mode if I have another Mac. That would be the same thing right? From the screen shot it looks like I maxed out the hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtas View Post
I read up on target disk mode if I have another Mac. That would be the same thing right? From the screen shot it looks like I maxed out the hard drive.
Yes if you can boot the "Bad" machine into Target Disk Mode... this will work too. Not sure if your machine is capable considering the issues you are experiencing.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win32.downloader.gen found by spybot
Hi there, I just ran my Spybot program and it found Win32.downloader.gen. After it ran I checked fix problems button. It showed that it fixed it, but I want to make sure. I have run the gmer and dds programs and will attach them for you. My computer has been running slow also. Thank you in...
garquillo Resolved HJT Threads 19 08-24-2013 05:40 PM
Downloads from IE say that they have a virus
Good Evening Tech Support Forum, Been awhile since I've been here. Working on my sister-in-laws notebook and it has some issues. First, Vista SP2 would not install. Got it to install after running the Vista SP2 fix from Microsoft. After that, I was able to get all of the updates installed...
mrmuggyd Resolved HJT Threads 19 06-02-2012 08:12 PM
Problem with windows live movie maker -the system cannot find path specified
Typical, I updated my spybot, spyware blaster and ad-adware. I ran them and since i did i found a few problems. My keyboard switched to US style. I fixed that but when I tried to run windows movie maker i found the problem "the system cannot find the path specified". there may be more...
paul2louise Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 4 05-16-2012 06:45 AM