Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

mac is failing to boot

This is a discussion on mac is failing to boot within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a mac pro 2008 which has worked fine it's whole life. Up until today. It's been off for

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a mac pro 2008 which has worked fine it's whole life. Up until today. It's been off for 2 days over the weekend and when switched on this morning it fails to boot past the start up screen, only progressing to 50% along to bar before stopping. It will not boot in safe mode.

I have tried
- Repairing the disk in the disk utility
- submitting terminal with Chris Hotte's fix
- using fsck -fy
- PRAM and SMC reset

But so far nothing works. IT's on Yosemite, and a stand alone mac which is not usually connected to the internet. It's not had a software update since April.

I've no idea what to do and nowhere near a genius bar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015, 01:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

If the following doesn't help, then take it in for service.

From https://discussions.apple.com/message/28913537#28913537
Quote:
Reinstalling Yosemite Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu.

Yosemite: Select Reinstall Yosemite and click on the Continue button.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

You need to rebuild the directory. Disk Warrior is the best at this. Good Luck!!
Closed Thread