Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Just Got Used MacBook ... Question about Update OS

This is a discussion on Just Got Used MacBook ... Question about Update OS within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hilly ho!!! I'm new to mac. Just got this macbook . It has 160GB 2GB ram and Lion 10.7.5 ...

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Hilly ho!!! I'm new to mac. Just got this macbook. It has 160GB 2GB ram and Lion 10.7.5 ... now at the app site it says that Lion 10.7 can upgrade to Sierra, but when I tried to do it I get a statement that it can't be installed on my machine ... what am I missing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Due to processor incompatibility with the newer OS, it cannot run Mountain Lion or newer. The code that supported 32bit CPU's was removed!

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...1+to+os+x+10.8

This is why these models are available so cheap!

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 10-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

There's always some kind of catch when updating ... guess it's true with macs too. Well it still works well surfing the net despite the old OS. Firefox doesn't support it so I can't install it, but I can still install chrome to get youtube even though it is no longer supported.

Wow the processor incompatible with the OS ... that's certainly different from windows.

It still suits my needs so I can live with it not being able to upgrade the OS. The price was just right for surfing the net while in bed, or outside.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
url:mal virus
I am in need of expert assistance in removal the nemesis virus "url:mal" . I've also seen pop up from Avast blocking "url:mal2". I tried running gmr and something prevents it from completion, so I'm not sure if it will give you the data you need:sad: Thanks in advance.:bang head: Dell...
Larry Crooms Resolved HJT Threads 35 01-14-2014 04:16 AM
Help..xp bsod when i run virus scan.
Hi, this is Troy, i have windows xp with sp3 and i everytime i run a virus scan and have run multiple kinds from windows to maleware bytes...you name it. I get to a point in the scan where i get a blue screen and then computer shuts down. When i run it with out doing a scan the computer stays on....
sootherlol Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 0 02-18-2013 05:31 PM
Bad Image Errors
I'm trying to get rid of some bad image errors and rundll errors during start-up on my windows xp computer. I ran the HiJackThis program and here is the log. I don't know which ones to delete. Please help. How do I avoid this in the future? Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4 Scan...
Generalpork12 Resolved HJT Threads 15 02-16-2012 03:52 PM
Slow browsing
I've had somewhat slow browsing as of late. Here are my logs: . DDS (Ver_2011-08-26.01) - NTFSx86 Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_22 Run by marvin glick at 2:44:06 on 2011-11-02 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.1982.1173 . AV:...
sailor86 Inactive Malware Help Topics 0 11-02-2011 12:53 AM
Some kind of redirect on computer (Monster Marketplace)
I don't know how this happened, but something has gotten into my computer that constantly redirects anything I click on. If I enter a search in the box, that does OK, but whenever I click on anything, there's a high likelihood that what I've clicked on won't come up - quite often, Monster...
Calgirl Resolved HJT Threads 198 05-23-2011 06:01 AM