Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

Is an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 compatible in a Mac Pro 4,1

This is a discussion on Is an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 compatible in a Mac Pro 4,1 within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm interested in purchasing a new graphics card for my Mac Pro 4,1 as my kit card is really quite

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm interested in purchasing a new graphics card for my Mac Pro 4,1 as my kit card is really quite slow.

This is the specific card that I am looking at, however I'm not sure if the is the best card to get.

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card - Newegg.com

I know previous GTX cards have worked fine with out a bios flash and boot screen, but I just wanted to verify that the newer GTX cards will work as well.

Should I be concerned about the power consumption of the card being to much for my power supply? I am currently running 4 3.5" 7200rpm drives and a solid state drive in the lower super drive bay. My machine also has 32gb of ram in it. I can provide more detailed specs as requested once I return from the office.

Thank you very much for the help, I greatly appreciate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

What model is the Mac Pro?

What is the wattage of the PSU installed in the unit?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for the welcome!

The mac pro is an early 2009, details in the below image.

I believe it should be stock power supply that came with the unit, which according to the apple product support page is the following:

"Maximum of 12A (low-voltage range) or 6A (high-voltage range)"

Page found here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP506?locale=en_US
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] EVGA Geforce GTX 550 TI
I built a new computer two nights ago and I haven't been able to get my new video card to work yet. I'm using a Gigabyte z68A-DH3 motherboard. When I install my video card and start up the computer I get no signal at all from either of the DVI ports, I don't have a mini hdmi cable, so I am...
GalenDoUrden Video Card Support 4 10-06-2011 09:15 PM
question about the EVGA GeForce GTX 570
OK so i am building my first computer and i have bin doing a lot of research and reading up and the last thing on my list to get is the gpu i was thinking of getting the EVGA GeForce GTX 570 iv noticed that the power connedctors are on the opposite side facing away from the motherboard iv see a few...
proyo Video Card Support 6 05-20-2011 02:14 PM
Which Model of GTX 460 is best price wise?
They are all around the same price, but I have no clue what the large difference is between them . I have everything already for upgrading to 460 but I'm not too sure if I should bother with a few extra bucks or if the ratings that are given that significant as I have a rather old card at the...
legojoey17 Video Card Support 1 01-29-2011 03:10 PM
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX Must Underclock
Hiya, as the title says I'm having some issues with my GeForce 8800 GTX. When I run the Standard Settings for the GPU, if at the Desktop, random and temporary "dead pixels" will start popping up, pretty much like the .GIF uploaded here. Also, if I'm running any kind of game - Textures will be...
Dealman Video Card Support 9 01-18-2011 07:58 AM