Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

iMac stuck in bootup/shutdown cycle

This is a discussion on iMac stuck in bootup/shutdown cycle within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an iMac (Model details: iMac, Late 2011 model, 27 inch, 4 Gb RAM, Intel 3.4GHz i7) which has

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an iMac (Model details: iMac, Late 2011 model, 27 inch, 4 Gb RAM, Intel 3.4GHz i7) which has recently started shutting down midway through its boot up process (when the Apple Logo is displayed). It continues in that cycle until I turn it off.

When run in Verbose mode, I get the following message:

pid exited (signal 0, exit 1)panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff80093cicde) Launchd died\nState at last exception:\n\[email protected]/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2782.20.48/bsd/kern/kern_exit.c:363

Debugger called: <panic>

I have tried the following:
  • Cmd - R: (recovery mode) - the iMac doesnít respond to this and remains in its boot up/shut down cycle
  • Shift: (safe mode) - behaves the same as for recovery mode.
  • I used the Option key to load boot menu - it wonít boot from recovery partition and wonít boot from a bootable installer for Sierra on a USB disk (shuts down again).
  • I used Alt+Option - wonít boot from Internet (tried both WiFi and Ethernet)
  • I have reset the NVRAM
  • I have run memtest86 and the memory checks out ok
  • I ran fsck -fy from single user mode and that checks out OK (but trying to boot after running it gives the same behaviour).
  • I have booted it in Target Disk mode attached to a Mac Book Pro and used Disk Utilities to scan the disk which checked out ok.

Can anyone suggest any other options I can try or help me diagnose the problem? Or is my only hope a genius bar?

I thought it would be possible to install a new OS on the disk via Target Disk mode but I that doesnít seem to be the case. Iím not precious about any of the files on the disk (and could get them off anyway if needed using Target Disk mode) so if solutions involve formatting the hard drive then that is no problem.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

Get your files off the disk now if you can.

What version of MacOS were you running on it?

Can you try CMD + OPTION + R when booting to see if you can get into Internet Recovery Mode?

If you can get into that mode... you will be able to eventually open Disk Utility directly on the machine and attempt to format the drive... and reinstall the OS by downloading it directly from Apple.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

I tried CMD + OPTION + R before posting but omitted that from the list in the my post.

Unfortunately I can't remember the version of OS we had, probably Mavericks or Yosemite, certainly not Sierra.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2017, 06:10 AM   #4

My System

If you cannot get into Internet Recovery mode.... it sounds like you might have some type of low level Logic Board hardware issue.

Internet Recovery mode is a very low level service... You should normally be able to boot into that even with a completely dead hard drive.

If you have an Apple store close to you, I would take it to them so they can take a look.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

Try Command + Option + P + R when booting.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #6

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by oJosh732o View Post
They have already done that.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyF81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oJosh732o View Post
They have already done that.
Sorry about that... I overlooked where he said he had already reset the NVRAM.
Closed Thread