Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

I sold an Ipad using Craigslist.

This is a discussion on I sold an Ipad using Craigslist. within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I sold an Ipad for my in laws using Craigslist. Apple is not really my thing but before I sold

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

I sold an Ipad for my in laws using Craigslist. Apple is not really my thing but before I sold it I erased it using itunes and I de-registered it. I deleted any backups in icloud. The guy has called me and told me that the person he bought it for cannot use it because he cannot access icloud because it is requiring a password. I know everything was done because after I did everything I also tried logging into it and everything and got something to the effect that "This Apple Product Cannot Be Used Till It Is Registered" I cannot remember for sure the wording but it said some like this. When I went in and deleted everything I made a backup of the clean ipad just to insure non of their info was saved anywhere. Then reset it again after De-registering it and deleting their account. I remember it asking if I was sure I wanted to de-activate the account. Before he picked it up I turned it on and made sure it was doing right as far as not having anything.

Now my question is. Just in case I didn't do something I needed to do. Can I send him instructions on how to do whatever he needs to do in order to use it? Apparently he took it to Germany and gave it to a nephew or something. I found these two links https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2702?locale=en_US
and https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204686 and from what I read he should be able to re-do whatever he needs in order to use it. But if I am in error then I want to know what I can do or what I can have him do.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

see the following

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351
Old 10-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

That link is one I also plan to send to him in my email. I didn't post it because I forgot I posted it further up in the body of the email. If he sends that link to whom ever he gave it to. According to the Section: If you no longer have your iOS device and part 3 If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it will prevent the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud. then this person should only have to make a new Apple ID for himself which he needs to do anyways since he bought it then he can use it free and clear. Am I correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

but did you go to your account on the icloud and deregister it. you only said in your first post that you went into itunes. (step 2 of if you no longer have...)
Old 10-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, in my first post I think line 2 I said "I erased it using itunes and I de-registered it." Before I erased it I used itunes to erase it because I don't have any Apple products myself. Before this I did log into icloud and do what needed to be done there. But back to my last post, on part 3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, ..... lets say if this person doesn't know what he is doing. Maybe it is his first ipad. Then if he creates a fresh Apple ID and logs into that ID, anything connected to the in laws ID will not matter. If he has made a new ID then if I am correct he can use icloud through his ID and not my inlaws.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if my above post is correct or where my thinking is flawed.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Creating their own Apple ID should solve the problem. Here are some other suggestions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203828
Old 10-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks, and that is my thinking. I spoke to him on the phone yesterday. I am thinking he has decided that he doesn't want it and is working to hit me up to take it back. I explained to him that he couldn't use their old icloud id or any id that was connected to them before he got it. He would need to input his own id and then the icloud would be his own id. But since Apple is not really my thing because I am a pc guy I wanted to be sure I am correct. He did email me a picture of what he is getting so I wanted to add this picture to my post for a final clarification. He is saying he cannot use the ipad without the passowrd it is asking for in the picture. But When I had it and was preparing it for re-sale as I have mentioned. I connected it to itunes on my computer so I could reset it. Before I did the reset I deleted all former backups, I de-registered it then connected it to my itunes to erase everything on it and reset it back to the out of box state. When he bought it he turned it on and of course it came up to the screen that was asking for him to set up his account and I guess he did all of that. Check the picture, but I am thinking if he creates an icloud account on whatever id he created then this will no longer be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_983007808430331.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	257562  
Old 10-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #9
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

That message is that the iPad is Activation Locked to your Apple ID. Before wiping the device, you need to make sure that you turn off "FIND MY iPHONE/iPAD" so that it does not require activation lock when it starts up.

Unfortunately, this cannot be done remotely without giving them your Apple ID.

Your options are:

1. Have them ship it back to you. You activate it, turn off "Find my iPhone/iPad" and THEN erase it. Ship it back.
2. Give them your Access Details and have them do #1 for you.