Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

How to rectify Safari slowdown?

This is a discussion on How to rectify Safari slowdown? within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, Of late Iíve noticed a drop in my Safari browserís performance (Yosemite, MBP 13 in, early 2015 -

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

Of late Iíve noticed a drop in my Safari browserís performance (Yosemite, MBP 13 in, early 2015 - 8 GB DDR3, 128 GB SSD). Itís not like it freezes up on me, or anything so drastic, but there is definitely a slow down in overall operating speed.

Two eg - if I have several tabs open and click on the cross to close a tab itís often nearly 1 sec before the tab actually disappears from the screen. Iíve now got into the habit of clicking twice since that seems to speed up thing a bit. The result is often that I end up closing two tabs in one go!

While clicking on a link in a webpage I also notice that things donít seem to start moving right away, and there is a slight delay before the new page comes up.

I ignored this for quite some time, until today I played around a bit with Chrome and it seemed to have none of these issues. This suggests itís not a general OS problem, but something to do with Safari.

Iíve already cleared the entire Safari History once, and it doesnít seem to have helped much. Can you suggest a remedy?

Thereís perhaps a minor overall slowdown of system speed (one and half yrs of heavy use) so should I be considering formatting the SSD and a fresh install of the OS?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

empty the internet cache without deleting your history: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old 01-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

I enabled Develop Menu and did what you suggested, and now I can see a difference.
Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2017, 03:31 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You are welcome! If this solved your problem, please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

So, the improvements notwithstanding, I notice that there is still a noticeable lag when I click the cross button to close a tab. It take nearly 2 sec (!) to close.

It also looks to me that this happens more when I have several tabs (> 8) open.

So what's going on here?
Closed Thread