Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Alternative Computing > Mac Support

User Tag List

How long to partition drive?

This is a discussion on How long to partition drive? within the Mac Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 500 GB drive that I had been using on a Windows computer. I'm currently waiting for MAC

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 500 GB drive that I had been using on a Windows computer. I'm currently waiting for MAC to partition this drive. In the last 1 1/2 hours the blue "creating partition map" progress bar has hardly moved. I don't know. May it has stopped. It still has that "watery" look like it's working. How long should it take to partition a drive?

1 partition
MAC OS Extended (Journaled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Moderator - Alternative Computing Team

My System

Less than a minute is about as long as it should take to do it.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

That's what I thought. I decided to zero wipe it. Then I'll try again to partition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #4
WesternDigital
Representative

Hi @EventVwr!

I agree with @MartyF81 - it shouldn't take more than few minutes to partition a 500GB drive. So I'd suggest what you've already started dong - write zeroes on the hard disk and then try to partition and format it.

Hopefully it will work, but in case it doesn't then there could be something wrong happening with the HDD so I'd suggest to run a diagnostic test, for instance "Verify Disk" via Disk Utility, and see if anything wrong will be detected.

Hope this helps and let us know how it went. :)

Official WD Representative

www.wdc.com
Old 08-22-2016, 12:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

I grabbed another (older) drive, used Data Lifeguard to zero wipe the start and end of it on my Windows computer, then partitioned it on my MAC and that took seconds. It was a newer drive that was causing the problems. Maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe I needed to stick a jumper on there.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

SATA drives do not require a Jumper.